If you are a fan of my Facebook Page I’ve been keeping you posted on my latest organizing frenzy. I attacked my office first and then it was onto my bedroom and closet. I even gave away a couple of pair of black boots the other day so if you aren’t a fan of Your Homebased Mom on Facebook you might want to be. You don’t even have to have a Facebook Account.
I’m headed into my husband’s office, which now houses all my serving pieces. Let’s just say with the holidays it got a little out of control (o.k., a lot out of control!!) So really, he is totally surrounded by cake plates and serving pieces right now. After then it is onto the craft room and the game closet!
Well, as a result of all this cleaning, cooking has taken a back seat. I haven’t wanted to spend a lot of time in the kitchen so I’ve pulled out a few of my quick and easy recipes. They may be quick and easy but they are still delicious.
I’ve made today’s recipe several times in the last month. Because I am constantly trying out new recipes, if something gets made more than once in a month at our house you know it is good. So not only is Penne with Spinach and Chicken Sausage quick and easy – it is delicious! The recipe is adapted from one I found over at Food on the Table.
The other thing I love about this recipe is that it only dirties two pans. My husband loves that too because he is the one that does the dishes at our house. All you need is a pot to boil your pasta in and then a pan to cook the sausage and mix it all together in.
The recipe uses chicken sausage. I bought sausage in the casing and then just slit the casing open and removed the meat. The package actually had 5 links in it but one was already in the pan when I took the photo.
Removing the meat is a little messy but easy.
The recipe also uses fresh tomatoes and spinach. The spinach is wilted before it is added in with everything else. Don’t over cook it because it will cook a bit more once everything is put in together.
After the pasta is cooked, the sausage is browned, and the spinach is wilted you just throw it all back into the pan together along with the chopped tomatoes. Add on some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and some toasted almonds (love the crunch) and you are ready to go.
A quick and easy meal but one that is also pretty and delicious! If you are not a meat or sausage eater the dish would be great without the meat – I just might add in a little crushed red pepper or other seasonings to give it a bit more kick. The sausage does add a lot of flavor.
- ½ lb. uncooked penne pasta
- 1 lb. chicken sausage links, casings removed
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp. tablespoon olive oil
- 4 C loosely packed torn fresh spinach
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ C sliced almonds, toasted
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain
- Remove sausage from casing and cook in skillet
- Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside
- In same skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes
- Add the spinach and bouillon
- Allow spinach to wilt slightly and then add in chopped tomatoes
- Add sausage back into skillet and toss to combine
- Add pasta with sauce
- Top with the sliced almonds and shredded Parmesan over the entire dish