After blogging for over four years you would think I would have shared with you all my family favorite, tried and true recipes. But I guess a few of them have slipped through the cracks. Like today’s recipe.
I have shared a crock pot version of tortilla soup but not this version. Actually I had forgotten about this recipe somewhat. My friend Alison gave it to me years ago and we love it. I recently attended a luncheon where Alison served it and I remembered how much I really like the soup and that it had been way too long since I’d made it.
This soup is so good. It is pretty quick and easy to put together too. Especially when you use a rotisserie chicken like I did. I like this soup full of chicken so I used almost the entire chicken in the soup. I saved a little bit of chicken so we could have Yummy Bowls the next night.
The soup is topped with tortilla chips, grated cheese and some sour cream if you like I love how the soup thickens up as the cheese melts into the soup and the tortilla chips soften up and get mixed in.
Be sure and allow time to let the soup simmer for an hour or so. It gives all the flavors time to meld together and taste even better. The recipe also calls for some very brand specific ingredients. I’ve always follow Alison’s instructions but if you can’t find those brands use what you have – I’m sure it will still be delicious!
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp dry parsley
- 1 4oz can chopped green chilies
- 1 12 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 1 12 oz. can beef broth
- 2 12 oz. cans chicken broth
- 2 C tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz. can corn do not drain
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Lea & Perrins steak sauce
- 1 C water
- 5 C shredded chicken 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 C cheddar cheese grated
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- Saute onions, garlic and parsley in olive oil.
- Add all ingredients except chicken, cheese, chips and sour cream.
- Simmer slowly, covered for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Add chicken and warm.
- To Serve: Add soup and top with chips, cheese and sour cream
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.