Chicken Tortilla Soup comes together quickly using leftover chicken and the Mexican flavors are always a hit with my family.
I have shared my recipe for crock pot tortilla soup but not this version of chicken tortilla soup I make on the stove. Actually I had forgotten about this recipe somewhat. My friend Alison gave it to me years ago and we love it. I recently attended a luncheon where Alison served it and I remembered how much I really like the soup and that it had been way too long since I’d made it.
This soup is so good. It is pretty quick and easy to put together too. Especially when you use a rotisserie chicken like I did. I like this soup full of chicken so I used the entire chicken in the soup. You can also use leftover chicken, or cook chicken breasts at home.
Be sure and allow time to let the soup simmer for an hour or so. It gives all the flavors time to meld together and taste even better. The recipe also calls for some very brand specific ingredients. I’ve always follow Alison’s instructions but if you can’t find those brands use what you have – I’m sure it will still be delicious!
When ready to serve, top with tortilla chips, grated cheese and some sour cream. I love how the soup thickens up as the cheese melts into the soup and the tortilla chips soften up and get mixed in. There are a lot of flavors and textures in this soup that you will love.
Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp dry parsley
- 1 4oz can chopped green chilies
- 12 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 12 oz. beef broth
- 24 oz. chicken broth
- 2 C tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz. can corn do not drain
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Lea & Perrins steak sauce
- 1 C water
- 5 C shredded chicken 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 C cheddar cheese grated
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- Saute onions, garlic and parsley in olive oil.
- Add all ingredients except chicken, cheese, chips and sour cream.
- Simmer slowly, covered for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Add chicken and warm.
- To Serve: Add soup and top with chips, cheese and sour cream