Chicken Tortilla Soup comes together quickly using leftover chicken and the Mexican flavors are always a hit with my family.
Tortilla soup is a classic Mexican soup you will often find on the menu at your favorite Mexican restaurant and it is so easy to make at home. It is made with a tomato base, shredded chicken, green chilies and a variety of great flavors. After simmering to meld all the flavors together it is topped crispy tortilla chips, cheese and whatever you’d like to add.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
You will need 5 cups of shredded chicken. There are several different ways to make your shredded chicken:
- Store bought rotisserie chicken. Remove the chicken and cut into small pieces.
- Homemade rotisserie chicken. I love to make mine in the Instant Pot.
- Slow Cooker shredded chicken
- Microwave shredded chicken
This soup is so quick and easy to put together too, especially when you use a rotisserie chicken from the store.
I like this soup full of chicken so I used the entire rotisserie chicken in the soup which is about 5 cups of chicken.
Be sure and allow time to let the soup simmer for an hour or so. It gives all the flavors time to meld together and taste even better. The recipe also calls for some very brand specific ingredients. This recipe came from my friend Alison and those are the brands she used. I’ve always follow Alison’s instructions but if you can’t find those brands use what you have – I’m sure it will still be delicious!
Toppings for Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Tortilla chips
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
I love how the soup thickens up as the cheese melts into the soup and the tortilla chips soften up and get mixed in. There are a lot of flavors and textures in this soup that you will love.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp dry parsley
- 1 4 oz. green chilies
- 12 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 12 oz. beef broth
- 24 oz. chicken broth
- 2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz. can corn do not drain
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Lea & Perrins steak sauce
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups shredded chicken 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- cilantro chopped
- Saute onions, garlic and parsley in olive oil.
- Add all ingredients except chicken, cheese, chips and sour cream.
- Simmer slowly, covered for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Add chicken and warm.
- To Serve: Add soup and top with chips, cheese and sour cream