Enjoy a fun twist on the traditional rice krispie treat with these chocolate cherry rice krispie treats!
I love a good rice krispie treat! I think I have the perfect rice krispie treat recipe and coming up with fun flavor combinations and variations is kind of a hobby of mine. These Cinnamon Rice Krispie Treats are a favorite along with these Malted Milk Ball Rice Krispie Treats.
I shared this recipe on the blog years ago, actually ten years ago, after seeing it on my friend Melanie’s blog. She has so many wonderful recipes over at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
The post was in need of new photos and I’ll take any excuse I can find to make these yummy treats. This rice krispie treat is a bit unique in that it combines all the marshmallow goodness with white chocolate. It makes for a little crispier treat but so delicious. The added tartness of the dried cherries is just right with the sweetness of the rice krispie.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Rice Krispie Treats
- I used an 11 x 7 pan. You can use an 8 x 8 and they will just be a bit thicker. If you want a thinner rice krispie treat use a 9 x 13.
- Line the pan with foil, being sure the foil extends beyond the edge of the pan. This will make it easier to remove them from the pan, just lift the foil. I also spray the foil with cooking spray.
- After melting your marshmallows and chocolate in a heavy pan, pour the mixture over your rice krispie cereal and dried cherries which are in a large bowl.
- If you can’t find or don’t have dried cherries you can used dried cranberries or even blueberries.
- Spread the mixture into the pan. I like my rice krispie treats a little thicker so I don’t press them down with my hands. I just gently spread them with a wooden spoon.
- After they cool, drizzle with some chocolate for the finishing touch.
- Because of the white chocolate the treats will be a little crispier but they are still nice and chewy too.
- After the chocolate drizzle has set up, cut them into squares. Use a sharp knife.
Some other favorite treats are:
- Cookies & Cream Rice Krispie Treats
- Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treat Ice Cream
- Caramel Rice Krispie Bars
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Chocolate Cherry Rice Krispie Treats
Chocolate Cherry Rice Krispie treats
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 10 oz. bag marshmallows 5 cups
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cup Rice Krispies cereal off-brand works fantastic, too
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips melted
- Prepare pan by lining an 11X7-inch baking dish with foil, allowing excess foil to hang over pan edges.
- If you want the treats thinner, use a 9X13 – for thicker treats still, use an 8X8-inch pan.
- Grease the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Add marshmallows, white chocolate chips, and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth, about 8 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Place cereal and dried fruit in a large bowl. Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal mixture and stir to coat.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and gently press into bottom and corners with a greased spatula (I just used my fingers since the marshmallows weren't overly hot at this point).
- Let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Melt semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave on low at 30 second intervals until smooth.
- With a fork, drizzle chocolate over top and let set up. Cut into squares
If you’ve tried these Chocolate Cherry Rice Krispie Treats or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!