Creamy Lemon Chicken, the name tells you everything you need to know! This crispy parmesan cheese battered chicken is served in a delicious lemon cream sauce.
This recipe is a little dinner time inspiration I received from my friend Sherra. She shared the recipe with me and everyone in my family loved it. The creamy lemon chicken recipe has a nice, light coating made with a combination of bread crumbs, flour and Parmesan cheese. Brown the chicken in butter and olive oil and then bake for a nice light and crispy coating. The sauce that goes over the top has just the perfect amount of lemon, not too overpowering but enough to know there is lemon in there.
The addition of mushrooms and capers gives this dish a dressed up feel and taste making it perfect for a dinner party or a weeknight family dinner.
Lemon Cream Sauce
The lemon cream sauce is easy to make. Use the same pan that you used to cook your chicken. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter and mushrooms into skillet and cook until mushrooms begin to brown and soften. Then add the capers and garlic to mixture. Deglaze the skillet with the chicken stock & lemon juice, scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate the drippings into the sauce. You want all that flavor goodness on the bottom of the pan. Then, let it simmer for 5 minutes. Finally, add 2 more Tbsp butter and the heavy cream. Serve over the parmesan crusted chicken breasts.
If you decide to use regular whipping cream or half and half your sauce will not be as thick. To help thicken it up, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to some of the hot liquid, stir to dissolve and then add back into the sauce and stir to thicken.
What are Capers?
I had this same question and I didn’t have an answer so of course I had to Google it. I discovered that it is the edible flower bud of the caper bush. The flower buds are pickled so they gives the dish a nice salty bite!
Creamy lemon chicken is perfect served over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes. You want something to soak up all the yummy gravy.
Check out more easy chicken recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Creamy Lemon Chicken
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs beaten with a tbsp of water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated (about 1/2 – 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 tbsp Butter divided
- Preheat oven to 350º and preheat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil & 2 Tbsp butter
- If using mushrooms, wash and slice them
- Pound each chicken breast until flat and even, about 1/2 inch thick
- Season both sides with salt & pepper
- Grate or shave a generous amount (about 1/2 cup) of the Parmesan cheese and add to breadcrumbs and toss together
- Save 1/2 cup of Parmesan for the sauce.
- Using 3 plates or pie tins fill one with flour, one with beaten egg and water and one with bread crumbs with shaved Parmesan
- Lightly cover each chicken breast in each; flour first, egg second and bread crumb mixture last
- Place coated chicken breasts into a preheated skillet with olive oil and melted butter
- Brown 2-3 minutes on both sides
- Remove from skillet and place into casserole dish
- Then place in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until chicken reaches temperature of 166 F.
- Do not overcook or the chicken will be tough
- Add 2 more Tablespoons of butter and mushrooms into skillet and cook until mushrooms begin to brown
- Add capers and garlic to mixture
- Deglaze the skillet with the chicken stock & lemon juice, scraping the bottom of the pan
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add 2 more tbsp butter and the heavy cream
- Mix together well and turn to low
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken and will coat the back of a spoon
- Right before serving sprinkle in some shaved or grated Parmesan and stir till it melts
- After removing the chicken from the oven place on a serving platter and our cream sauce over the top.