Even non fish eaters are going to love these fish tacos with jalapeno lime sauce!
I love getting packages in the mail. I especially love them when they contain a cookbook written by one of my friends. When my friend Mary’s cookbook The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook arrived I couldn’t wait to dig in. Does anyone else love reading cookbooks in bed?! I marked the recipes I wanted to try and had a hard time deciding which one to try first.
There are many things I love about Mary’s cookbook but one of them is that the cookbook is full of simple, family friendly recipes that are perfect for weeknight cooking. I’m a big proponate of the family dinner table and the importance of eating dinner together as a family. In fact, I started a Facebook Group that is dedicated to helping and encouraging people to eat dinner as a family. This cookbook can help that family dinner table happen.
The first recipe I decided to try was the one for fish tacos with jalapeno lime sauce. We are big taco fans at our house so this one was at the top of the list.
One of the things I love about this recipe is how easy it is. The recipe can be found in the 15 – 25 minute section of the cookbook. If you have non fish eaters at your house I encourage you to give it a try anyway. Mary says her non fish eaters love this. I am not a big fish eater either but I loved it too!
The recipe uses a nice light white fish – either code or tilapia. I used tilapia. It seasonsed perfectly with some cumin and smoked paprika and then cooked up quickly ( 5 minutes) in some olive oil. If you don’t have smoked paprika, get yourself some. There is a difference from regular paprika and the flavor is amazing. The fish turns out light and flaky. The jalapeno lime sauce gives the tacos some great added flavor. Add a little red cabbage and fresh cilantro on top along with a squeeze of fresh lime and you’ve got an amazing dinner in under 30 minutes! More like under 20 minutes!
Jalapeño Lime Sauce Recipe
Fish Tacos with Jalapeño Lime Sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. cod or tilapia or 4 4 oz. fillets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Jalapeno Lime Sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice about 1/2 large lime
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp finely minced jalapeno
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup finely shredded red or napa cabbage
- fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 large lime cut into wedges
- In a small dish, stir together the salt, cumin, paprika and pepper.
- Sprinkle the fish on both sides with the mixture.
- Head oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. (I used my cast iron pan)
- Arrange the fish across the pan and let it cook, without touching it for 2 minutes.
- Slide a thin spatula under the fish and flip.
- Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Fish is done when it is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove the cooked fish to a plate.
- Use two forks to flake it apart gently, leavingh plenty of bite size pieces.
Jalapeno Lime Sauce
- Make while fish is cooking or ahead of time and refrigerate. Stir together the all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- To serve, place a scoop of fish on each tortilla. Top with the cabbage and drizzle with sauce.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Leave a Review