This chicken pot pie has a fun and yummy crumb topping. A little different from the traditional, this homemade pot pie is a little easier to make, but just as delicious as the original.
I have never madea homemade chicken pot pie before. I think it is the pastry part that scares me away. I am not a big pie maker and usually default to a premade crust when making a quiche or some other recipe that calls for a pastry crust.
A few weeks ago I stopped by to visit with my friend Cathy. She was just having lunch and she asked me if I’d eaten and would I like to join her. I said sure, but just a little please. I wish I hadn’t said that.
I wish I had said, sure a lot! Cathy was enjoying a delicious chicken pot pie for lunch.
Chicken pot pie just says comfort food to me. Chicken and vegetables in a creamy gravy covered with pastry goodness.
This pot pie was not your traditional chicken pot pie. It did not have a pastry crust. Instead it had a delicious crumble topping.
How to Make a Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe is a little bit more time consuming than many of my recipes but it is worth the effort and the mess. I think my husband took one bite and announced,”This is REALLY good.” In fact he ate it for the dinner the next night and took it for lunch 3 days in a row! You have to really like something to do that!!
The process starts with making the savory crumb topping.
A combination of flour, butter, seasonings and Parmesan cheese are mixed together until small pebble like pieces form.
Then you mix in some evaporated milk and stir with a fork to combine.
The mixture will form large clumps. Place these on a parchment lined cookie sheet and preheat your oven.
Bake for 10-13 minutes until it browns and smells yummy.
Set the topping aside while you work on the rest of the chicken pot pie.
Cook two chicken breasts and shred. Check out my favorite and easiest way to cook chicken.
Next chop up your vegetables. I used carrots, onions and celery.
The vegetables get cooked in some oil until they are tender. Add in some salt and pepper.
Remove the vegetables from the pot and add together some butter and flour and then add in chicken broth and milk to make your gravy for the chicken pot pie. Salt and pepper and add some lemon juice and parsley and then add the chicken and vegetables back in. Stir to mix.
Pour everything into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
Cover with the crumble topping and bake in a 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
The perfect comfort food meal. Now just sit back and wait for the oohs and aahs! Personally I love the crunch of the crumble topping.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie with Crumble Topping
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 3 C chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 C milk 2%
- 2 tsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3/4 C frozen petite peas
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 Tbsp butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 C evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cook chicken and shred into pieces.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Add in butter and cut in butter until pebble size pieces form. Add in cheese. Add in evaporated milk and stir until clumps form. Place crumble onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes until lightly browned.
- Heat oil in heavy pan and add vegetables except the peas. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and stir. Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside with chicken.
- Heat butter in pan and add in 1/2 C flour, stir for one minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer. Scrap up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add in lemon juice, soy sauce and parsley. Add in chicken and vegetables and stir. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and add crumble topping evenly over the top. Bake until hot and bubbly for about 12-15 minutes.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.