All the delicious flavors of your favorite comfort food, in an easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe. This delicious homemade pot pie is made with a savory crumble topping.
Several weeks ago, I asked on Instagram if there were any recipes you would like to see on the blog. One of the requests was for a chicken pot pie. A traditional chicken pot pie recipe has a pastry crust on the bottom and on the top. But this delicious recipe gives you all of the flavor and texture with half of the work! And it is so easy to make!
Several years ago,I stopped by to visit with a friend and she was just having lunch. She asked me if I’d eaten and would I like to join her. My friend was enjoying this delicious chicken pot pie with crumble topping for lunch. Chicken pot pie just says comfort food to me. Chicken and vegetables in a creamy gravy covered with pastry goodness.
My easy chicken pot pie has a delicious crumble topping. This crumble topping adds flavor and crunch to the chicken pot pie, but you don’t have to worry about the pastry crust properly cooking through! And no soggy crust on the bottom. The crumple top is a combination of white and wheat flour, seasoned with Parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper. And it is delicious!
How to Make a Chicken Pot Pie
- Savory Crumb Topping: Cut your butter into a mixture of white and wheat flour, salt and pepper, baking powder, Parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper along with some evaporated milk. If you don’t have evaporated milk use regular milk. Mix together until small pebble like pieces form and then add in milk. The mixture will form large clumps. Place these on a parchment lined cookie sheet and preheat your oven. Bake for 10-13 minutes at 350 degrees F until they turn golden brown.
- Set the topping aside while you work on the rest of the chicken pot pie.
- Cook two chicken breasts and shred. Check out my favorite and easiest way to cook chicken.
- Next chop up your vegetables. I used carrots, onions and celery. Saute the vegetables in butter with salt and pepper.
- Remove the vegetables from the pot and add together some butter and flour and then add in chicken broth and milk to make your gravy for the chicken pot pie. Salt and pepper, lemon juice and parsley and then add the chicken and vegetables back in. Stir to mix. Pour everything into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Cover with the crumble topping and bake in a 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
The perfect comfort food meal. Now just sit back and wait for the oohs and aahs! Personally I love the crunch of the crumble topping.
Some of my other favorite comfort food recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Easy Chicken Pot Pie with Crumble Topping
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk 2%
- 2 tsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3/4 C frozen petite peas
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 Tbsp butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cook chicken and shred into pieces.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Add in butter and cut in butter until pebble size pieces form. Add in cheese. Add in evaporated milk and stir until clumps form. Place crumble onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes until lightly browned.
- Heat oil in heavy pan and add vegetables except the peas. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and stir. Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside with chicken.
- Heat butter in pan and add in 1/2 C flour, stir for one minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer. Scrap up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add in lemon juice, soy sauce and parsley. Add in chicken and vegetables and stir. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and add crumble topping evenly over the top. Bake until hot and bubbly for about 12-15 minutes.
Originally published Feb. 13, 2012