What better way to keep off the fall pumpkin spice season than a loaf of pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Chocolate is the perfect companion to pumpkin bread.
I actually turned on my furnace this week. My husband didn’t think we needed to, but I did. Mainly because I love the way the house smells that first time you turn on the furnace for the season. We had a hot summer, much hotter than usual for Portland, so I am totally ready to welcome the cooler weather. Bring on the chilly nights, sweaters and pumpkin!
As soon as someone says the word fall, I’m ready for pumpkin everything! I haven’t had a pumpkin spice steamer at Starbucks yet. But I heard pumpkin spice is back! To satisfy my pumpkin craving this week, I did a little baking. And it all involved pumpkin. First up was this delicious loaf of pumpkin chocolate chip bread!
I’m one of those that prefers their pumpkin with chocolate, so I throw in a handful of chocolate chips into my pumpkin any chance I get. This recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip bread makes two loaves. I put chocolate chips in one loaf and not in the other. Do I need to tell you which loaf disappeared first!? But if you prefer your pumpkin bread chocolate free, than just skip the chips.
Pumpkin Bread Add Ins:
I like to change it up a bit sometimes and will add in toffee bits and pecans into my pumpkin bread in addition to or in place of the chocolate chips. If you are adding in all three, add in 1/3 cup of each. If you are adding in only one additional one, cut back the chocolate chips by 1/3 cup.
- Toffee Bits: 1/3 cup
- Toasted Pecans: 1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped.
- Maple Glaze: Love drizzling this over the top. (recipe below)
But any way you slice it, with or without chocolate chips and nuts, this pumpkin bread is a winner. And I think it is the perfect way to kick off Fall!
Some of my other favorite bread recipes:
Some of my favorite kitchen tools I use to make Pumpkin Bread:
9 x 5 CERAMIC LOAF PAN – the perfect size for the perfect loaf of bread
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semi sweet
- 1/3 cup toffee bits optional
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans chopped, optional
Maple Glaze - Optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1 Tbsp whipping cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9 x 5" loaf pans
- In a mixer, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, sour cream, water, sugars, vanilla, and mix until well blended.
- Add in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until just combined
- Divide between two loaf pans and bake in oven for about 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in pan and then remove and finish cooling on rack.
Tips & Notes:
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.