This small batch Chicken Pot Pie for Two is creamy and delicious with a flaky pastry crust. It is the perfect amount of food for two people. It is comfort food at it’s finest.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
When we became empty nesters I found that I stopped making a lot of my favorite comfort foods because the original recipes made too much food. I don’t mind leftovers for one night, but not for five nights!
So I started scaling down some of my favorite comfort food recipes to feed just the two of us and now I can enjoy them whenever I want. I’ve taken my favorite chicken pot pie recipe and reduced it down for two people.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling Ingredients
- Pie Crust (see below for more info)
- Peas (optional)
- Chicken broth
- Cooked Chicken. See Tip Box below. Can also use leftover turkey.
- Flour. I use unbleached all purpose flour.
- Lemon Juice
- Soy Sauce
Pot Pie Crust
This recipe uses a pastry pie crust. Now, I love a homemade pie crust and when I make my own pie crust I always use my perfect pie crust recipe. But sometimes, you just don’t have time for homemade and that’s when a store-bought pie crust works just fine! I buy the kind you find in a roll in the refrigerator section.
Be sure and let your pie crust sit out for a while to come to room temperature so that when you roll it out, it doesn’t crack and fall apart.
Tips for Easy Shredded Chicken
You can also make your own shredded chicken instead of using a rotisserie chicken.
- Microwave. This method is quick and easy and takes about 10 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Depending on the size of your microwave you can do 2-3 chicken breasts at a time. Find all the details here.
- Slow Cooker. If you have time, the slow cooker makes a moist and tender shredded chicken. It takes about four hours on low. If I have to make a large batch of shredded chicken this is the perfect way. Find all the details here.
- Instant Pot. This is another great method and I usually do about 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts at a time. It will take about a total of 45 minutes. Find all the details here.
How to Make a Chicken Pot Pie for Two
- Spray a 9 x 5 inch bread pan or similar size dish with non stick spray and line the pan with the pie crust, allow the edges to hang over the sides of the pan.
- Keep pie curst covered with a towel or plastic wrap as you prepare the filling.
- Saute carrots, celery and onion in olive oil until fork tender in a saucepan or frying pan. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in butter and flour and stir to fork a roux.
- Whisk in chicken broth and milk, bring to a low boil.
- Add in seasoning. Simmer, allowing gravy to slightly thicken over medium heat.
- Stir in chicken and vegetables.
- Pour mixture into pan lined with pastry.
- Fold pastry over the top of the filling.
- Optional: To make the crust shiny, brush the crust with an egg wash before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly and pastry crust is golden brown.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze chicken pot pie?
I would recommend freezing it before baking it. Store it in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn. Use a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. It can be frozen for up to two months. You can bake it frozen or thawed. If baking frozen cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 – 25 minutes covered and 20-25 minutes uncovered or until hot and bubbly and golden brown.
Can I use puff pastry instead of a pie crust?
If you prefer, you can use puff pastry instead of a pie crust. You can find frozen ones in the freezer dessert section.
What other veggies can I add into to chicken pot pies?
You can add in some fresh, canned or frozen peas, green beans or chopped broccoli.
How to tell if chicken pot pie is done?
Use a food thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the filling is 165 degrees F.
For more recipes for two try one of these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chicken Pot Pie for Two
- 1 1/2 cups chicken diced and cooked
- 1 pie crust
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp parsley dried
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Place pie crust into loaf pan, with edges of pie crust hanging over the edges.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté carrot, onions and celery until fork tender. Remove from pan
- Add butter and melt. Add in flour and stir to create a paste or roux.
- Add in chicken broth and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a low boil and allow to boil gently until it begins to thicken.
- Add in soy sauce, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Add in veggies and cooked chicken. Stir to combine and heat through.
- Pour into pastry lined loaf pan. Fold pastry over the top of filling.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.