This small batch Chicken Pot Pie for Two is creamy and delicious with a flaky pastry crust. It is the perfect amount of food for two people. It is comfort food at it’s finest.
pot pie for two
When we became empty nesters I found that I stopped making a lot of my favorite comfort foods because the original recipes made too much food. I don’t mind leftovers for one night, but not for five nights!
So I started scaling down some of my favorite comfort food recipes to feed just the two of us and now I can enjoy them whenever I want.
Pot Pie Crust
This recipe uses a pastry pie crust. Now, I love a homemade pie crust and when I make my own pie crust I always use my perfect pie crust recipe. But sometimes, you just don’t have time for homemade and that’s when a store bought pie crust works just fine! I buy the kind you find in a roll in the refrigerator section.
Be sure and let your pie crust sit out for a while to come to room temperature so that when you roll it out, it doesn’t crack and fall apart.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling Ingredients
- Peas (optional)
- Chicken broth
- Cooked Chicken
- Lemon Juice
- Soy Sauce
How to Cook Chicken
When you add the chicken into the pot pie, it needs to be cooked. Here are some of my favorite ways to cook chicken needed in recipes.
How to Make a Chicken Pot Pie for Two
- Spray a 9 x 5 inch bread pan with non stick spray and line the pan with the pie crust, allow the edges to hang over the sides of the pan.
- Keep pie curst covered with a towel or plastic wrap as you prepare the filling.
- Saute carrots, celery and onion in olive oil until fork tender. Remove from pan.
- Add in butter and flour and stir to fork a roux.
- Whisk in chicken broth and milk, bring to a low boil.
- Add in seasoning. Allow gravy to slightly thicken.
- Stir in chicken and vegetables.
- Pour mixture into pan lined with pastry.
- Fold pastry over the top of the filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly and pastry crust is golden brown.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.
How to Freeze and Bake pot pie
I would recommend freezing it before baking it. Cover so that it is air tight to prevent freezer burn. Use a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. It can be frozen for up to two months. You can bake it frozen or thawed. If baking frozen cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 – 25 minutes covered and 20-25 minutes uncovered or until hot and bubbly and golden brown.
For more recipes for two try one of these:
- Lasagna for Two
- Small Batch 30 Minute Rolls for Two
- Mini Strawberry Pie
- Small Batch Pancakes
- Small Batch Cheesecake
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chicken Pot Pie for Two
- 1 1/2 cups chicken diced and cooked
- 1 pie crust
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp parsley dried
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Place pie crust into loaf pan, with edges of pie crust hanging over the edges.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté carrot, onions and celery until fork tender. Remove from pan
- Add butter and melt. Add in flour and stir to create a paste or roux.
- Add in chicken broth and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a low boil and allow to boil gently until it begins to thicken.
- Add in soy sauce, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Add in veggies and cooked chicken. Stir to combine and heat through.
- Pour into pastry lined loaf pan. Fold pastry over the top of filling.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Leave a Review