These whole wheat chocolate chip cookies have a great chewy texture thanks to the whole wheat.
One of my favorite jobs as a mom is making chocolate chip cookies. I feel like a good mom when I make chocolate chip cookies.
Don’t we all need to feel like good moms now and then, especially when we have teenagers?
Maybe it comes from watching too much June Cleaver in Leave it to Beaver as a child but having a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies waiting for my kids when they come home for school makes me happy – and it makes them happy too!
Homework is always easier with a warm chocolate chip cookie!
I am a collector of chocolate chip cookie recipes. I have tried dozens!
My favorite is still the Best Big,Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.
But then there is also a chocolate chip cookie in the form of a pie – yum!!
Recently I came across another chocolate chip cookie recipe. I can’t resist a new chocolate chip cookie recipe and since the recipe came from Nurse Heidi, I knew it was going to be a good one!
As I looked closer at the recipe I realized it was the exact same recipe as the Best Big Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie except for one ingredient. Instead of two cups of white flour, Nurse Heidi had used a cup of white flour and a cup of whole wheat flour.
The idea of putting whole wheat flour into a cookie almost makes it a health food – doesn’t it? Nurse Heidi used soft white whole wheat and I am a fan of Bob’s Red Mill so I used their whole wheat flour.
The wheat flour works wonderfully! I loved it in the cookie. The best part was my kids had NO IDEA there was wheat flour in it. I love the texture the wheat flour gave the cookie -the cookie had just a bit more body and a little more chewy. It wasn’t heavy by any means and if I hadn’t put the wheat flour in myself I never would have known.
It was an amazing cookie – just like the name says!
If you have never worked with wheat flour before, don’t be afraid. This recipe is the perfect way to introduce whole wheat flour into your families diet. Just imagine – a healthy chocolate chip cookie – well, almost.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Chewy and Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 C unsalted butter melted
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 2 C semisweet chocolate chips
- Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper (I actually did neither, and they came out fine on a plain old bare shiny metal cookie sheet).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended
- Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy
- Mix in dry ingredients until just blended
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours
- Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets (I did large golf ball size chunks, and could fit 9 at a time - they spread quite a bit, so don't try to cram them)
- Cookies should be about 3 inches apart
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a 325 F preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted
- Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely
- For a softer cookie be careful not to overcook- remove cookies from oven when the edges are barely toasted
- For a crunchier cookie, bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown
- Makes 14-17 cookies