Small Batch Rice Krispie Treats are a favorite childhood treat that can be enjoyed anytime when made in small batch form. This recipe makes the perfect amount for 2-4 people and can be made in under 10 minutes. Don’t miss all four favorite flavor variations down below!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
I am a big rice krispie fan but an entire pan of a regular size batch of rice krispie treats is just too much and too tempting for me as a reduced size family. Being able to make small batch Rice Krispie Treats allows me to enjoy a favorite treat but not eat too much of it! Be sure to scroll all the way down to see some of my favorite flavor variations.
You can also get creative and use whatever leftover cereal you might have on hand instead of Rice Krispie cereal.
- Mini Marshmallows. Uses fresh marshmallows
- Rice Cereal
How to Make Small Batch Rice Krispie Treats
Stove Top Method
- Melt butter in pan over low heat (the picture below shows the butter browned which I use in one of the variations listed below)
- Add in the marshmallows. For small batch I prefer to use mini marshmallows.
- Stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Pour in vanilla extra.
- Place marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until marshmallows are melted.
- Add in vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal and stir to completely coat cereal.
- Pour mixture into a parchment lined 9 x 5 loaf pan and gently pat down mixture.
- Allow mixture to cool and set up before cutting. Can place in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
- Cut treats into four pieces and enjoy!
Cookies and Cream Rice Krispie Treats
- Add in 1/2 cup white chocolate chips after melting butter and marshmallows. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- Pour over Rice Krispies and add in 1/2 cup broken Oreo cookies.
- Pour into prepared pan and top with 1/4 cup additional broken cookies and then drizzle with 2 Tbsp more melted white chocolate.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Add in 2 Tbsp of peanut butter into marshmallow mixture.
- Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and spread over top of Rice Krispie treats. Allow chocolate to set up before cutting.
Brown Butter Salted Rice Krispie Treats
- Brown butter in saucepan.
- Add in marshmallows and vanilla and stir until marshmallows are melted.
- Pour mixture over cereal and stir.
- Add in 1/3 cup of butterscotch chips (optional) and stir.
- Pour into pan, gently pat down and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use regular size marshmallows?
Yes, 2 cups of miniature marshmallows equals 16 large marshmallows
What is the best way to store leftover rice krispie treats?
Keep them stored in an airtight container to keep them from drying out. They will last for 3-4 days.
For more fun Rice Krispie treat variations try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Small Batch Rice Krispie Treats
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- In a bowl combine butter and marshmallows and melt in microwave for 30 seconds. Can also be done on the stove top in a sauce pan.
- Remove and stir until marshmallows are melted.
- Add in vanilla
- Pour over Rice Krispie cereal and stir until combined.
- Pour into a parchment paper lined 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Pat down gently and allow to cool.