Oven Baked Tacos are a quick and easy dinner. Tacos in a crisp shell that doesn’t fall apart when you bite into it.
We don’t believe in limited taco night to only Tuesdays at our house. We love tacos any night of the week. Some of our other favorite taco recipes are Shredded Beef Tacos made with slow cooker beef, Grilled Chicken tacos can be done on the grill or the stove top and these Baja Fish Tacos were inspired by a trip to San Diego.
Easy Dinner Idea
This week’s quick and easy dinner is a quick one! One of my go to meals when the kids were young was tacos. I also remember it being one of my mom’s go to meals. It doesn’t get much easier than browning up some meat, adding in a packet of seasoning and wrapping it in a tortilla!
I am a crispy taco shell girl. You know, the kind you bake in the oven first. The only problem though is the entire shell cracks and falls apart after your first bite. I usually ended up making a little taco salad out of it and eating it with a fork.
Today’s recipe for oven baked tacos gives you the same quick and easy dinner without the mess. I’ve got an amazing technique for baking the taco shells so that they don’t fall apart when you eat your taco! The meat, shell and cheese are all baked together.
How to Make Tacos in the Oven
- Place two pieces of rolled up foil in the bottom of the pan to allow for drainage and keep the tacos from sitting in any grease or liquid that may run off from the tacos.. If your meat isn’t well drained, you may get some liquid draining out of the shells and if the taco shells are sitting flat on the pan they can get soggy.
- Place your taco shells onto the rolled up foil.
- Brown meat and add in dried onion, taco seasoning, tomato sauce and green chilies. Allow to simmer until meat mixture thickens. up.
- Fill the shells with your meat mixture. I used about 1 1/5 lbs. of meat and got about 10 -12 tacos from it.
- Then top them off with cheese. I used a combination of Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the shells are lightly browned and warmed through.
- Add favorite taco toppings. At our house we love lettuce and tomatoes.
Dress them up however you like and then enjoy! A quick and easy dinner!!
For other quick and easy dinner ideas check out:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Oven Baked Tacos Recipe
Oven Baked Tacos
- 1.5 ground beef
- 2 tsp dried onion
- 1 pkg. . taco seasoning mix
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 4.5 oz. can mild green chilies
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 12 crispy taco shells
- lettuce tomato and whatever condiments you like
- Brown meat with minced onion until meat is cooked through. Drain off any liquid/fat.
- Add in taco seasoning and tomato sauce and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- Place taco shells into baking dish with rolled up foil on the bottom to keep shells from touching the bottom of the pan.
- Fill shells with meat mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until cheese melts and the shells are heated through.
- Remove from oven and top with desired condiments.
Originally shared February 21, 2013
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.