I am a huge ice cream fan. Usually my dessert of choice.
I love to make homemade ice cream in the summer but I certainly don’t limit my ice cream making to the summer months. It’s pretty much a year round activity at our house.
As you know one of my other loves is lemon so coming up with the perfect lemon ice cream was a pretty big priority for me. I think I may have found it.
The perfect lemon ice cream needs to have just the right amount of lemon. Not too tart, not too sweet, just right.
The base for this ice cream is cooked. Be sure and put it through a strainer after cooking it to remove the lemon rind and any pieces of egg that might not have gotten mixed in.
Since it was cooked you will need to chill your ice cream base before putting it in the ice cream maker. After it has chilled just process according to the directions of your ice cream maker. I use a Cuisinart 2 qt. ice cream maker.
I love my ice cream just about any way but I am particularly fond of it on a cone!
What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
For other yummy flavors of ice cream try these:
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here.
- 1½ Tbsp grated lemon zest
- ½ C fresh lemon juice
- 1 C sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ C whipping cream
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a pan mix together zest, juice, sugar and eggs.
- Add in 1 C whole milk and vanilla.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a simmer.
- Strain through a sieve to remove zest.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Add in whipping cream and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.