It doesn’t get much easier than the classic Blueberry Dump Cake. All you need is five ingredients and 30 minutes and you’ve got a delicious treat!
What is Dump Cake?
I always thought Dump Cake deserved a better name. The name just doesn’t do this cake justice.
Dump Cake gets it name from the fact that you dump in your fruit, dump on the cake mix and then dump on some butter. With all that dumping you can see how it got its name. Most recipes use cans of blueberry pie filling that you just dump into the pan. I am not a fan of canned pie filling. Instead, I use fresh blueberries with a little sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. It takes a minute or two longer to mix together but the fresh fruit is so much better!.
This cake is similar to a blueberry cobbler, having fruit underneath a cake like topping.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe
- Choose your Fruit: I made this version with blueberries along with a cup of raspberries I had in the refrigerator that I needed to use up so technically, this is a Mixed Berry Dump Cake.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to the fruit.
- Layer fruit on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle berries with dry cake mix, right out of the box!
- Cover the top of the cake mix with butter. The butter will melt and combine with the cake mix to create the topping. You want to make sure that all the cake mix gets covered with butter so I like to grate my butter in my food processor to give it better and more even coverage.
- Cover the entire surface of the cake mix with grated butter.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Tips from Leigh Anne
- I like to check the dump cake about half way through the bake time to make sure that the butter has melted evenly and there are no dry spots of cake mix. If there are dry spots, I just take a spoon and move some of the butter around to dampen the dry cake mix.
Dump cake is best served warm and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, at least at our house!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! I vary the flavor of cake mix I use. Sometimes I use white, yellow, butter flavored and even lemon cake mix. They all work great.
You can use whatever fruit or combination of fruit you choose. I have made it with cherry, raspberries, peaches, and apples. You will need 4 cups of fruit.
Some of our other favorite desserts include:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 1 18.25 ounce yellow cake mix
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix berries, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice together.
- Place berries into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Cover berries with dry cake mix.
- Cover cake mix with grated butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Half way through baking time check to make sure butter has covered all the cake mix. Use a spoon to spread some if needed.
- Serve warm, top with ice cream.