It doesn’t get much easier than the classic Blueberry Dump Cake. All you need is five ingredients and 30 minutes and you’ve got a delicious treat!
I love having a collection of quick and easy desserts. This 3 Ingredient Lemonade Ice Cream pie is one I use often, especially in the summer months. Creamsicle Ice Cream Pie reminds me of my favorite childhood treat. These Milky Way Bars only use TWO ingredients, how easy is that!!
What is Dump Cake?
I always thought Dump Cake deserved a better name. The name just doesn’t do this cake justice. Yes, you just dump everything in but it really deserves a nicer name, don’t you think?? Let me know if you come up with one!
Dump Cake gets it name from the fact that you dump in your fruit, dump on the cake mix and then dump on some butter. With all that dumping you can see how it got it’s name. Most Dump Cake recipes use canned pie filling that you just dump into the pan. I am not a fan of canned pie filling. Instead, I use fresh fruit with a little sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. It takes a minute or two longer to mix together but the fresh fruit is so much better!. Dump Cake is similar to a cobbler, having fruit underneath a cake like topping.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
- Choose your Fruit: I made this Dump Cake with blueberries along with a cup of raspberries I had in the refrigerator that I needed to use up so technically, this is a Mixed Berry Dump Cake. You can use whatever fruit or combination of fruit you choose. I have made it with raspberries, peaches, and apples. You will need 4 cups of fruit.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to the fruit.
- Layer fruit on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
- Cover berries with dry cake mix, right out of the box! I vary the flavor of cake mix I use. Sometimes I use white, yellow, butter flavored and even lemon cake mix. They all work great.
- Cover the top of the cake mix with butter. The butter will melt and combine with the cake mix to create the topping. You want to make sure that all the cake mix gets covered with butter so I like to grate my butter in my food processor to give it better and more even coverage.
- Cover the entire surface of the cake mix with grated butter.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. I like to check it about half way through to make sure that the butter has melted evenly and there are no dry spots of cake mix. If there are I just take a spoon and move some of the butter around to dampen the dry cake mix.
Dump cake is best served warm and with ice cream, at least at our house! When I made it last week I served it with some homemade lemon ice cream I had made earlier in the week and it was fantastic!!
Some of our other favorite berry desserts include:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 1 18.25 ounce yellow cake mix
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix berries, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice together.
- Place berries into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Cover berries with dry cake mix.
- Cover cake mix with grated butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Half way through baking time check to make sure butter has covered all the cake mix. Use a spoon to spread some if needed.
- Serve warm, top with ice cream.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!