Chocolate and Caramel – does it get any better than that?! These double chocolate brownies with caramel frosting are pure heaven.
When I first saw this recipe in my mom’s new Southern Living Cookbook I knew I would be making them – soon!
They did not disappoint! The brownie is full of chocolate and topped with a creamy caramel frosting.
They are a perfect addition to any upcoming summertime picnic or just because. They are guaranteed to satisfy any chocolate craving you may have.
You need a candy thermometer to make the frosting. If you don’t have one, borrow one from a friend or go buy yourself one. You’ll be glad you did!
- 2 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
- 2 (1-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 C butter, softened
- 2 C sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 C all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ C chopped, toasted pecans, divided (I didn’t use)
- ¾ C semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- ¾ C butter
- 2 C sugar
- ½ C buttermilk
- 12 large marshmallows
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Microwave chocolate squares in a small bowl at medium heat until melted.
- Stir chocolate until smooth.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Add melted chocolate, beating just until blended.
- Add flour and salt, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in vanilla, ½ C pecans, and ½ C chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining ¼ C pecans and ¼ C chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost evenly with Caramel Frosting.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in sugar and remaining ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 25-30 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 234 degrees (soft boil stage)
- Remove from heat.
- Beat at high speed for 5-7 minutes or until frosting thickens and begins to lose its gloss.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!