Birthday Cake Ice Cream is the perfect way to combine your favorite birthday treats all in one bite. Don’t wait for someone’s birthday to enjoy this creamy delicious treat!(Jump to Recipe)
Do you like ice cream with your cake? I know there are definitely cake people out there that feel like cake and ice cream should not be eaten together and I have to admit that I kind of agree with them, especially when it is really good cake. I love to enjoy the cake all my itself. Now when it comes to pie, ice cream is required! But there are times when I love a scoop of ice cream with my cake and that is usually when we are celebrating a birthday.
This Birthday Cake Ice Cream is a perfect combination, bites of delicious cake along with the creamy, deliciousness of ice cream and of course sprinkles! Don’t sprinkles just make everything better and more fun. Sprinkles just make me smile and I love the little bit of crunch they give the ice cream. I always save a few to sprinkle on top right before serving.
How to Make Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- The base for this ice cream is vanilla. I used my favorite vanilla ice cream recipe and added in a 1/2 cup of dry yellow cake mix to give the ice cream some cake flavor.
- With the remaining 2 1/2 cups of cake mix, I used 2 of the cups to make half a batch of cupcakes, I used 3 of those cupcakes in the ice cream.
- For a half a batch of cupcakes you will need 2 cups of cake mix, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup of water and 4 Tbsp oil. Combine, mix and bake according the directions on the box.
- After the cupcakes have cooled tear 3 cupcakes into pieces and place on a baking sheet and freeze.
- Mix together your ice cream mixture with the 1/2 cup of dry cake mix and put into your ice cream maker, process according to manufacturer’s directions.
- When the ice cream is almost done churning, add in the frozen cake pieces and 1/2 cup of sprinkles. Mix just long enough to combine the cake and sprinkles into the ice cream. Do not over churn as this will break down the pieces of cake.
Put the ice cream into a freezer container and allow it to set up for several hours or overnight before serving.
Can I use store bought cupcakes for Birthday Cake Ice Cream?
You absolutely may, you can purchase store bought frosted cupcakes if your prefer. I didn’t put frosting on my cupcakes but if you are a frosting fan, go for it! Since I was opening a cake mix to add some of the dry mix into my ice cream I found it was just easier to make my own cupcakes rather than go to the store and buy some. You will only use three of the cupcakes in the ice cream so you will have some leftover to enjoy!
Freezing the pieces of cupcake before adding them to the ice cream helps them not totally crumble and break apart in the ice cream. You want chunks of cake in your ice cream! Save a few sprinkles to add to the top of the ice cream before serving.
Don’t wait for someone’s birthday to enjoy this birthday cake ice cream! Find a reason to celebrate today!!
This is my favorite ice cream maker.
Some of my other favorite ice cream recipes are:
Birthday Cake Ice Cream Recipe