Don’t ask me why this is called Cowboy Caviar because I have no idea. What I do know though is that it is yummy. I got the recipe from my sister in law Jayna who fixed it for Grandma and Grandpa Wilkes’ 80th birthday party a few years ago.
It has become a favorite summer appetizer at our house, especially when tomatoes are in season. Last summer I took it to a potluck and so did two other women. They were all slightly different versions and I have to say – I liked this version the best.
It has a bit of chopping involved – tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and green onions but goes together quick . I like to refrigerate it for a while before serving so all the flavors can meld together. We used tortilla chips to dip.
Be sure and add the avocado in right before serving so it doesn’t turn brown. Do you have a favorite summer appetizer?
- 1 can whole corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bottle Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing
- fresh lime
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Combine corn, beans, onion and cilantro
- Add juice of lime and dressing
- Just before serving add avocado
- Serve cold with chips
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!