Cowboy cookies start with a delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookie base, but are loaded with pecans and coconut flakes too.
Today is the first day of school here and the first day of school means one thing at my house – chocolate chip cookies. For many years I made chocolate chip cookies on the first day of school to welcome my kids home.
Even though there is no one currently living at my house that will be starting school today I still felt the need to make chocolate chip cookies. So I gave these cowboy cookies a tryl
Cowboy cookies start with a nice soft, chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookie and then you add chopped pecans and coconut flakes.
I don’t know why it is called a cowboy cookie? But I do know that they are delicious.
The secret to these cookies is to NOT overbake them. You actually want them to look underbaked. The cookies should not start to turn brown around the edges, just have an all over light brown color. If you let them get too brown around the edges they will still be great, just not quite as soft and chewy.
The cookies will look set (not gooey in the middle) but they will still look pretty pale.
The trick to keeping them soft and chewy is to store any uneaten, if you have any uneaten cookies, in a brown paper bag. In fact when I delivered them to the neighbor kids I took them over in a brown paper bag. Just in case they didn’t them all at one time!
Happy first day of school kids!
Check out more delicious chocolate chip cookie recipes:
- 1 C dark brown sugar
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 C butter softenend
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 12 oz milk chocolate chips.
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
- Cream together sugars and butter for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla. Mix.
- Add in dry ingredients except oatmeal. Mix throughly.
- Mix in oatmeal until combined
- Add chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and coconut flakes.
- Scoop onto parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-10 minutes at 350 degrees, DO NOT overbake. Cookies should just start to brown.
Tips & Notes:
- Do not over bake these cookies. You want them to be a light brown when you take them out of the oven.
- Store cookies in a brown paper bag to keep soft.