These key lime bars are amazing. They pack a powerful lime punch!
I first made these key lime bars back in 2010 for a women’s event at church. We were doing a dessert bar and I got to experiment with lots of yummy bar cookies. As soon as I took my first bite of these key lime bars I knew they were a winner.
When I made them this past week and my husband took a bite, the first word out of his mouth was , “Wow!” It was a good “Wow!” It was a “these are amazing Wow!” I knew that I was going to have to share these little beauties quickly so I didn’t eat the entire 9 x 13 pan myself!!
The bars are made in 3 layers. The bottom layer is a combination of flour, sugar, butter and chopped pecans. You bake it first for about 15 minutes. Be sure not overbake it as you don’t want to dry these bars out.
You just want them slightly brown around the edges. While they are hot you add a mixture of eggs, sugar. flour, baking powder and key lime juice over the top and then bake some more – about 18 minutes or until it is set.
Now let it cool completely and mix up some powdered sugar, butter, lime peel and more key lime juice.
Once the bars are cooled spread this over the top and then dig it!
If you are a citrus fan you are going to love these pretty little key lime bars. You could also make them with lemon juice if you’d like. It would be amazing too. I purchase the key lime juice that comes in the bottle, the Nellie & Joe’s Key Lime Juice. It awesome and tastes just like fresh key limes.
I like to sprinkle some addition lime peel over the top before serving. I use my trusty microplanner for this! Just a nice light sprinkling to make the bars a little prettier.
Just know I can not be held responsible if you end up eating the whole pan by yourself. You are going to want to, I promise!!
To see the original Key Lime Bar post go here.
- 1¾ C all purpose flour
- ¾ C butter softened
- ⅓ C sugar
- ⅓ C chopped pecans
- 1 ½ C sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 5 Tbsp fresh key lime juice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2¼ C powdered sugar
- 1½ Tbsp butter softened
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh key lime juice
- Freshly grated key lime peel
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
- Combine the crust ingredients except for the pecans into a bowl
- Beat at low speed until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Add in the pecans
- Press mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are slightly browned
- You don't want to over cook it
- Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients into a bowl
- Beat at low speed until well mixed
- Pour filling over hot, partially baked crust
- Continue baking for 18-20 minutes or until filling is set
- Cool completely
- Combine all the frosting ingredients except lime peel in a bowl
- Spread over cooled bars
- Garnish with grated lime peel
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!