Key Lime Bread will have you dreaming of Florida beaches and ocean breezes. The lime glaze packs the perfect lime punch!
Sometimes I think limes get overlooked. It’s always all about the lemons and I’ll be the first to admit I love all things lemon, which is very evident by the number of lemon recipes on this blog! But I think the poor neglected little lime deserves a little more attention and I’m determined to give it to it.
Key limes originate in the Florida Keys and they are a smaller lime with more seeds, more aroma and a little more unique flavor than the regular grocery store lime. Key lime juice is the star of Key Lime Pie and I highly recommend making the effort to find and use key lime juice. Here in the Pacific Northwest I can sometimes find key limes in my grocery store, sometimes not, but I can always find key lime juice (same aisle as the apple juice etc.) I like the Nellie & Joes Key Lime Juice and to be perfectly honest, I prefer using the bottled juice because it is easier. Those key limes are little and you have to squeeze a lot to get enough juice! I also haven’t noticed a huge difference in flavor from the fresh ones but maybe my key lime juice palate isn’t too sophisticated.
So if you cheat like me and use the bottled juice, just don’t cheat on the glaze. It is the crowning glory of this bread. Don’t leave it off and don’t be stingy with it! You’ll be sorry if you do.
The bread has a nice soft, sweet, mild lime flavor but the glaze is really what gives it a punch. I found myself scrapping up all the glaze that had dripped off the bread onto the parchment paper and eating it. So yummy!
I have a neighbor who shares my love for all things key lime so I sacrificed and packaged up half the loaf to share.
Other Key Lime favorites:
Key Lime Sugar Cookies from Lemons for Lulu
Key Lime Bread
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp lime zest grated
- 1 Tbsp Key lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermillk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp Key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, lime zest, juice, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternately, add in flour and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes and remove from pan.
- Place on a wire rack and drizzle with glaze while bread is still warm.
- Mix together powdered sugar and enough juice to make a nice drizzling consistency.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.