A No Bake Frozen Key Lime Pie is the perfect solution to the summer heat. A tart, refreshing dessert is the perfect way to cool off. (Jump to Recipe)
I am a huge key lime fan. As far as I’m concerned it is the perfect summer dessert. It’s light and refreshing and a little bit of puckery tartness. Not too sour, not too sweet, just right. We had friends over the other night for a rousing round of pickle ball and this was the perfect dessert to help us cool off afterwards.
What is a Key Lime?
Key limes are also known as Mexican limes and were commonly grown in the Florida Keys (thus the name) until a hurricane wiped out the groves in the 1920’s but they still kept the name. Today they usually come from Mexico, Central or South America.
A key lime is smaller and more yellow in color than a traditional lime. They are also tarter and the zest is more powerful and has a stronger lime aroma. Because they are smaller, it takes a lot more limes to produce the amount of juice you need.
Since key limes can often be hard to find in the grocery store I love using the Nellie & Joe’s key lime juice you can find in the juice aisle of your grocery store. It tastes great and it is so much easier than squeezing a bunch of little limes!!
How To Make Frozen Key Lime Pie
- This no bake dessert starts with a graham cracker crust which is just a combination of graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press it into a nine inch pie plate.
- The filling is a combination of sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice and lemon sorbet. You could also use lime sorbet for even more lime goodness but the lemon was delicious. This frozen key lime pie definitely has that tart lime flavor that a key lime pie should!
- I beat all the filling ingredients together in my kitchen aid until combined and the filling is smooth. Don’t beat to much so you melt your sorbet! I also added in one drop of green food coloring just to give it a bit more color but it is totally optional.
- Fill the pie crust and put in the freezer to firm up. It will set up but not get super hard.
- I like to top it with a little fresh whipped cream and lime slices.
How long will Key Lime Pie keep?
It will keep for 1-2 weeks in the freezer if covered with plastic wrap or foil.
For a more traditional key lime pie check out my favorite key lime pie recipe here.
Other favorite key lime dessert ideas:
Frozen Key Lime Pie Recipe