The wedding countdown is down to one week. Yes, a week from today my son will be married!!! We are so excited. It’s a big job getting ready for a wedding and I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed and like I needed a vacation the last few days. Maybe even a tropical vacation. Well, since there is no time for that and no room in the budget I decided to make a batch of Key Lime Ice Cream! It can almost do the trick.
Summer and key lime – it is a magical combination. I am a big fan of key lime. Remember that amazing key lime cake I shared a few years ago. My neighbor still talks about it. And then there were those key lime bars which were a huge hit when I served them at a large church event.
Well today I have another key lime treat. This time in the form of ice cream.
For me there is nothing more refreshing than something lime.
And since we’ve been enjoying some warm summer weather here in the Northwest Key Lime Ice Cream has really hit the spot.
I used bottled Key Lime Juice. My store carries the Nellie & Joe’s brand. I used my basic vanilla ice cream recipe but instead of sugar I used a can of sweetened condensed milk, a main ingredient of key lime pie.
Since key lime pie usually has a graham cracker crust I added the graham crackers into the ice cream. I waited until the ice cream had set up and then stirred the crumbs in before I popped it into the freezer to harden up. A bit more sprinkled on top added just the right amount of graham cracker flavor and texture to the key lime pie ice cream.
- 2 C whole milk
- 3/4 C key lime juice Nellie & Joe's
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1 C 1/2 & 1/2
- 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 graham cracker squares crushed
- In a bowl combine milk, lime juice, heavy cream, 1/2 & 1/2, salt and sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.
- After it has set up mix in 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs and save some for garnish. Put into a freezer container and freeze for at least an hour or until firm.
- Garnish with remaining crumbs
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.