Seven Layer Dip is the perfect combination of all of your favorite Mexican flavors. It is popular at any party and one of the first appetizers to disappear.
What is Seven Layer Dip?
This recipe is always required for any big football watching occasion at our home. It is the first thing that my son will request when I ask what they want. Be it New Year’s Eve or Super Bowl Sunday there will be Seven Layer Dip at our house.
Technically, the way I make it only has 6 layers of different ingredients but who is counting? If you are insistent on having seven layers scroll down to see what I did to make it officially a seven layer dip!
How to Make Seven Layer Dip
The first step is to find a pretty serving dish. I just used a shallow white baking dish. About 9″ inches in diameter
- Guacamole. You can make it from scratch but I buy it at the store if I’m rushed for time. I like the fresh guacamole they sell in the Deli section. But if you want to make your own, check out my Chipotle Copycat Guacamole recipe.
- Sour Cream with taco seasoning added in. Many seven layer dip recipes have a bean layer but I’m not a fan and much prefer this seasoned sour cream layer.
- Sliced Black Olives
- Chopped Green Onions
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sour Cream. I think the Seven Layer Dip looks and tastes quite lovely just like this, with only six layers but if you are a detail person and need to have seven layers, give it a drizzle of sour cream over the top! Then you’ve got Seven Layer Dip!
How Long Does It Last?
In the refrigerator, it will last 3-4 days. The longer it is refrigerated the dip will begin to “bleed” or become watery. You can drain off the liquid and it will still taste great.
The only thing left is to add some chips for dipping. Happy football watching!!
Check out some of my other favorite appetizers:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Seven Layer Dip Recipe
Seven Layer Dip
- 1 1/2 cups gucamole
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 1.25 oz. pkgs. taco seasoning mix
- 4 Tbsp mayo
- 1 2.25 oz. can sliced olives
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1-2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream for drizzling
- Layer guacamole into serving dish
- Mix together sour cream, taco seasoning mix, mayo and layer over guacamole
- Sprinkle sliced olives, green onions, cheese, and tomatoes over the top of the sour cream mixture
- Drizzle with sour cream if desired
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and serve with chips