If you like a little heat and a bit of a kick you’re going to love this firecracker shrimp!
Today’s recipe has been a frequent visitor at our house on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve for the last several years. It is delicious and it is also a total man pleaser. They love it! But so do the girls.
It’s a bit spicy so if you like a little heat, you’ll love it.
I take the easy route with this recipe and use frozen Panko breaded Shrimp from Costco.
It’s easy and it’s good but if you don’t have a Costco near you or can’t find something similar at your local grocery you can bread your own shrimp. It’s just a bit more work a little messier but totally doable – I’ve done it. I’ll include the recipe for the Panko breading below too.
This year’s box of shrimp only came with directions to bake it – not fry. I followed the baking directions but when I added the secret sauce to it the breading started following off the shrimp. It still tasted great, just not too pretty.
So the second time I made them I let the shrimp thaw in the frig and then I fried them in oil – at about 300 degrees and they turned out perfect. A nice crispy, brown exterior that stayed on when I mixed them in the sauce!
But I think she ended up sharing a few with her siblings. Good girl!
Got any big plans for your New Year’s Eve. I think ours will be homemade pizza and root beer floats with some family games. Pretty quiet around here!
Happy New Year!
Up next – my word of the year and a fun new way to display it!
- 1/2 C mayo
- 2-4 tsp chili garlic sauce depending on the amount of heat you like I used 4!
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 pkg panko breaded frozen shrimp
- vegetable oil for frying
- Lettuce leaves and chopped green onion
- 1 C panko bread crumbs
- 2 egg white
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Mix together sauce ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use
- Heat vegetable oil in pan to about 350 degrees
- Mix together bread crumbs and garlic powder
- Dip unpeeled shrimp in egg white mixture
- Dip in panko crumbs mixture
- Place in hot oil and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through
- If using frozen, pre-breaded shrimp thaw in the refrigerator and then cook in hot oil until coating is brown and crispy, making sure inside is cooked too
- After shrimp is cooked place in a bowl and pour special sauce over the top
- Gently fold together
- Place shrimp on a plate covered with lettuce leaves and sprinkle on green onion
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.