Raspberry Pavlova pairs layers of crisp, delicious meringue with whipped cream and fresh raspberries.
One of my favorite ways to eat raspberries is on top of a sweet bed of meringue and covered in a blanket of whipped cream. It is truly pure heaven in your mouth. The stuff dreams are made of.
I know a lot of people are afraid of making meringue but it is so easy! And nothing tastes better than a melt in your mouth meringue! Pavlova is just that – a meringue based dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. Meringue consists of a crisp crust but a soft, light, slightly chewy inside.
This dessert is so light that you almost feel like it doesn’t have any calories. You will probably wish it didn’t have any calories because you are going to want to eat the whole thing yourself!!
How to Make Pavlova
The steps to a perfect Pavlova are fairly simple:
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or a piece of brown paper bag. Draw a circle on the paper – the size you want your pavlova.
- Bring egg whites to room temperature. If you have forgotten to take them out of the refrigerator place eggs in a bowl of lukewarm water and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Beat room temp egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue into the circle on cookie sheet.
- Use the back of a spoon or spatula to form shape. Indent the middle slightly.
- Preheat oven to 300 and place meringue in oven and then immediately turn down oven to 250 degrees.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until the meringue is firm and dry to touch (inside of meringue will be soft)
- Turn off oven allow meringue to sit in the oven for up to an hour afterwards to firm up a bit more
You are now ready to assemble.
Whip your cream. I like to add a little vanilla and a teaspoon or so of sugar to sweeten a bit.
Assemble right before you are ready to serve. Add whipped cream to the center and then pile those raspberries on!
Then the next part is the best part – grab a fork and dig in! Don’t say I didn’t warn you – you are so going to want to eat the whole thing yourself!! Pavlova is best eaten the day it is made so find someone to share it with your will have to eat the whole thing!
For other sweet raspberry treats:
Raspberry Pavlova Recipe
- 4 egg whites room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- 1 C whipping cream whipped
- 1 pint or more of raspberries
- Heat oven to 300 degrees
- Line a large cookie sheet with brown paper bag or parchment paper
- Draw the desired size circle or circles using a pencil onto the paper
- In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy
- Gradually add sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating continuously at high speed until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes or so
- Beat in vanilla
- Spoon meringue onto circles on prepared cookie sheet building up sides with back of spoon
- Place in 300 degree oven and reduce heat to 250 degrees
- Bake for 40-60 minutes or until firm and dry to touch (inside of meringue will be soft) I allow mine to sit in oven for up to an hour afterwards to firm up a bit more
- Remove from oven; cool completely
- Carefully remove meringue from paper
- Place on serving plate and fill with whipped cream and fresh fruit
- Refrigerate until serving or eat right away!!
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!