This best pecan pie recipe is the classic holiday dessert. It’s easy to make and it is the perfect combination of sweet and salty. This dessert will make your holiday complete!
My husband absolutely loves pecan pie and that is always the pie he requests for Thanksgiving and Christmas. When we are celebrating with family I always make a full size pie but if it is just the two of us and we are celebrating small I use this Mini Pecan Pie recipe. It tastes just like the full size version, there is just less of it!
Pecan Pie Ingredients
- Unbaked Pie Crust. You can make your pie dough from scratch or buy a refrigerated or frozen pie crust. You want a 9 inch pie crust.
- Sugar. I use a combination of granulated and brown sugar. If you want a richer flavor, you can use dark brown sugar.
- Corn Syrup. We prefer light corn syrup but dark corn syrup will also work for a more intense flavor.
- Butter. Melt the butter and then slightly cool
- Vanilla Extract
- Pecans. I like to use whole pecan halves but you can also use pecan pieces. The pie is prettier with pecan halves.
How to Make Pecan Pies
- Make pie shell or use a store bought refrigerated one and place in a 9 inch pie dish. You do not need to pre bake.
- Place pecans into an even layer on the bottom of the crust.
- Combine eggs, sugar, syrup, salt, vanilla and melted butter in a bowl and stir together.
- Pour mixture into pie crust over the pecans.
- Bake in a 375 degree F. oven for 45-50 minutes or until the filling is set when pie is gently moved.
- Allow the pie to cool on a rack before slicing.
- Keep any leftovers refrigerated
For a more decorative pie, pour the filling into the pie crust and then add the pecan halves in a spiral or circular decorative design on top of the filling and then bake.
Frequently Asked Questions?
To make this recipe even easier, you can definitely use a store bought crust. No need to worry about making, refrigerating and rolling out the dough. All you need to do is unroll the pre-made crust, press it into the bottom of the pie plate, and crimp the edges. Then follow the recipe as written.
In this recipe, there is not. Corn Syrup is what gives pecan pie it’s smooth, gooey texture and there is not a substitute.
Use a thermometer to check the temperature of the pie in the center to see if it is done. It should be 200 degrees F. You can also tap the center surface of pie lightly and it should spring back when done.
If pie crust is getting too brown, cover the edges with foil.
How to Serve Pecan Pie?
This pie can be served chilled or at room temperature, whatever your preference. I think the pie can totally stand on its own but you can always add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some freshly made whipped cream. You can even drizzle the top with some caramel sauce if you want to be extra fancy.
Other delicious recipes using pecans include:
Classic Pecan Pie
- 1 9" pie crust refrigerated
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup can also use dark
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 9" pie pan, add the refrigerated pie crust. Press into sides, and crimp top edges.
- Place pecan halves in the bottom of the crust.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, syrup, salt, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk together until completely combined and smooth. .
- Pour over the pecans into the pie crust
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the filling appears to be set when pie is gently moved.