Ooey Gooey Cake Ice Cream is the combination of two favorite treats – ooey gooey cake and vanilla ice cream!
Ooey Gooey Cake Ice Cream was inspired by my ice cream crawl through New York City last year! My youngest daughter lives in Manhatten and I take every chance I can to go visit. You can check out all my favorite places for ice cream in NYC here.
This delicious banana ice cream was inspired by a previous trip too.
One of the ice cream places I like to visit while in NYC is Ample Hills Creamery. It’s been voted New York’s top ice cream and they have so many fun and creative flavor combinations. One of my favorite flavors is The Munchies and I’ve got a great copy cat recipe for it.
Today’s recipe for Ooey Gooey Cake Ice Cream was another fun flavor I tried at Ample Hills and it combines two favorite treats. Ooey Gooey Cake and vanilla ice cream. If you’ve never had ooey gooey cake, you really should. You can find my recipe for it here.
How to Make Ooey Gooey Cake Ice Cream
For this recipe I made an ooey gooey cake following the directions on that post and then cut it into bite size pieces. You won’t need the whole cake for the batch of ice cream so you’ll have cake leftover to share or eat by itself. Use about 2 cups of cake bites.
Put the cut up pieces of cake into the freezer on a baking sheet for about 20-30 minutes. This will harden them up so they don’t fall apart when mixed into the ice cream.
For the base ice cream, I used my favorite homemade vanilla ice cream recipe. It’s the best recipe and I use it as my starting point for lots of my ice cream recipes. I’ve heard from many of you how much you love it too.
What Kind of Ice Cream Freezer Do I Use?
I use my favorite 2 qt. Cuisinart ice cream maker and when the ice cream is almost finished churning, put the chilled/frozen bits of cake into the ice cream maker and let them mix in.
After it is done churning, put the ice cream into a Tovolo Ice Cream Tub or some type of air tight freezer container. My Tovolo Tub keeps ice cream at just the right texture and temperature. Sprinkle a few more pieces of cake on top of the ice cream before popping it into the freezer.
After the ice cream is set up, just scoop away! I love the chunks of ooey gooey cake throughout the vanilla ice cream.
I can’t wait to discover some fun new ice cream flavors on my upcoming trip. If you have any NYC ice cream must try ideas for me, leave me a comment and let me know!
For some of my other favorite things to do, see and eat in NYC:
- Places to Eat in NYC
- See & Eat in NYC Part One
- Places to See & Eat in NYC Part Two
- Places to See & Eat in NYC Part Three
- Best Ice Cream Spots in NYC
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Ooey Gooey Cake Ice Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1½ cup whole milk
- 1½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cup half & half half whipping cream, half milk
- 1½ Tbsp pure vanilla use the good stuff
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups ooey gooey cake bites
- Make Ooey Gooey Cake (directions below)
- Cut into bite size pieces and chill on a baking sheet in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- When the ice cream is almost done, add in 1-2 cups of ooey gooey cake bites and let them churn in.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- Mix together all ingredients and pour into 2 qt. ice cream maker.
- Follow manufacturer’s directions.
- Chill or freeze cake bites.
- Add into vanilla ice cream the last few minutes of churning. Allow to incorporate into ice cream.
- Place ice cream into a freezer container and freeze until it hardens up.