This delicious Beef Gyro recipe has all of the Middle Eastern flavor that you love, and is made in your cast iron skillet!
I love to try new recipes, even new recipes for dishes I have loved for years. Most people don’t like to try out new recipes on dinner guests, but it is my favorite time to do it! These beef gyros are one of the recipes I tried out on guests. And it was a big hit with everyone. In fact it was so good I even had it again the next night for dinner and I typically don’t like leftovers!
I used flank steak for my meat and mixed it up with some pumpkin pie spice, onion, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and fresh parsley as well as some salt and pepper. While that was sitting for a few minutes I made the Tazazki Sauce which is a combination of cucumber, tomato, lemon juice and some greek yogurt. It is so yummy and tastes amazing on top of the meat.
Gyro meat is traditionally cooked on a spit. But since I don’t have one, I cooked it in my cast iron pan! I piled the meat and the tzaziki sauce on top of a piece of naan bread. I am mixing cultures (Naan is traditionally Indian) here but it is what I had. Traditionally a gyro is served on pita bread but I really like the thickness of the naan bread. You can buy it at your local grocery store, or you can make your own homemade naan bread. It’s easy to do.
You just wrap it all up in the bread and go for it! So yummy!!
Check out more of our favorite dinner recipes:
Beef Gyro Recipe
Middle Eastern Beef Gyro
- 1 1/4 lb. flank steak thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 C plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled and seeded
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed through a garlic press (or finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Mix together the sliced steak, onion , pumpkin pie spice, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, parsley, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a bowl.
- Set aside and prepare Tzaziki Sauce
- Mix together yogurt, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice.
- Mix in tomatoes and cucumbers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to pan and then add meat and onion mixture in a single layer.
- Cook until meat is browned and cooked through. Repeat with remaining meat.
- Warm bread and serve meat and tzaziki sauce on top