A calzone is a stuffed pizza pocket that you can fill with your favorite pizza toppings. They are the perfect prep ahead meal because they freeze and reheat well.
What is Calzone?
It is an Italian pizza turnover or pizza pocket. Just like pizza, you can fill them with your favorite pizza toppings. My favorite pizza is a margarita pizza so today we are making margarita calzone but feel free to switch it up and add your favorite pizza toppings.
Homemade Calzone Margherita Ingredients
- Pizza Dough
- Fresh Basil
Pizza Calzone Dough
I’m a firm believer that homemade is always better but when I’m are pressed for time I’ll use store bought pizza dough with this recipe.
When rolling out your pizza dough try to get a nice even thickness, about 1/4 inch thick. You don’t want any holes in your dough for the cheese to leak out!
Other Filling Ideas
- Cheese. Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Cheddar and Parmesan all work well.
- Sauce. I use my favorite pizza sauce or with a Margherita calzone I just use slices of tomato. You could also use a pesto or an Alfredo sauce. Use extra sauce for dipping it into after it’s baked.
- Meat. Pepperoni, Sausage, Canadian Bacon, Prosciutto, Bacon, Chicken.
- Veggies. Tomato, peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach.
How to Make Calzone?
- Divide pizza dough into 4-6 pieces, depending on how big you want your calzone to be. From 1 lb. of pizza dough I usually make four calzones. You can make individual calzones or one big calzone and share.
- For individual calzones roll out dough to about 6 inches across.
- Layer on your toppings. For my margarita calzone I used a couple of slices of fresh tomato, sliced mozzarella and a few basil leaves. You can also use a light layer of pizza sauce and add your favorite pizza toppings. Put your filling on one half of the circle.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and press down on the edge of the dough with your finger. Make sure your edges are sealed so none of the cheese leaks out while baking.
- Place your calzones on a baking sheet.
- Use a knife to cut two air vent into each calzone.
- Brush top of calzone with some beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese and Italian Seasoning. A little garlic powder would be delish too.
- Bake at 450 until golden brown for about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve the calzone with a bowl of marinara or alfredo sauce for dipping
Can I Freeze Calzone?
This is a perfect make ahead and freeze recipe. Bake them according to the directions and them wrap them individually in foil and then in an airtight freezer container or bag. They will last for several months and you can grab one whenever you need a quick meal.
When I pull them out of the freezer I just let them thaw and then pop them in the microwave to heat through or you can also warm them up in the oven at about 350 degrees until they are warmed through. About 15 minutes or so.
Other favorite pizza recipes:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Calzone Margarita Filling
- tomatoes sliced
- mozzarella cheese sliced
- fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine yeast and sugar with warm water and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
- Add flour, salt, and oil to yeast mixture
- Combine wet ingredients in dry ingredients into mixer and knead for 5 minutes until dough is smooth, will be a little sticky. Allow to rise for at least one hour.
- Divide dough into 4-6 pieces. Depending on the size of calzone you’d like.
- Roll dough into circle.
- Layer with toppings – tomato, basil leaves and mozzarella cheese on half of the circle
- Pull other half of circle over the top of filling and seal the edges of the dough closed.
- Bake at 450 until golden brown – about 12-15 minutes.