The addition of malted milk powder and malted milk balls to make malted milk ball rice krispie treats is pretty much brilliant!
We love a good Rice Krispie treat at our house and these Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats are unreal! I even put Rice Krispie treats into my ice cream! These Cinnamon Rice Krispie treats are a fun flavor addition too.
Secret to Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
I shared with you my Perfect Rice Krispie Treat recipe several years ago. Many of you have tried them and agree with me! I love it when that happens. The secret to a perfect rice krispie treat is more butter and more marshmallows! But guess what, you can make it even better. How you may ask? Just add malted milk balls! And for even more malted milk flavor I added in malted milk powder.
Malted Milk Balls. A candy, classically made with a center consisting of malted milk powder and an outer coating of chocolate.
Malted Milk Powder. Malted milk powder was originally developed from barley malt as a supplement in baby formula. As more people began to enjoy the flavor, it began to be added into drinks at the soda fountain and the Malted Milk Shake was born. You will find malted milk powder in the same aisle as the powdered milk. It is also called Ovaltine.
Marshmallows. I like to use mini marshmallows but you can also use full size marshmallows.
Crispy Rice Cereal. You can get creative and use another type of cereal if you prefer.
Butter. I like salted butter. If using unsalted butter, throw in a pinch of salt.
How to Make Malted Milk Ball Rice Krispie Treats
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a heavy sauce pan. When melted, stir in malted milk powder.
- Place Rice Krispies into a large bowl.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the top and stir to combine.
- Stir in crushed malted milk balls, reserving some for the top.
- Spread mixture into a greased or parchment line pan and sprinkle with reserved malted milk balls. Just use your hand to lightly press them into the Rice Krispie treats so they stick!
Pretty much the perfect way to dress up a Rice Krispie treat! The malt powder and the malted milk balls give you a subtle malt flavor but it’s not overpowering at all.
Tips for Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
Frequently Asked Questions
When stored in an airtight container, these treats will stay soft for 2-3 days, after that they will dry out a bit and become harder and crisper. They are best eaten the day of!
I don’t recommend it, they tend to get hard and chewy when frozen.
Any kind of crispy cereal will work such as Kix or Chex
You have probably cooked your marshmallow mixture over too high of heat and for too long. Melt your butter and marshmallows over a low – medium low heat. It will take a few more minutes but it’s worth it!
Some of my other favorite treats include:
Malted Milk Ball Rice Krispie Treats
- 16 oz. marshmallows
- 1/2 cups butter
- 12 oz. rice krispie cereal
- 3/4 cups malted milk powder
- 3 cups malted milk balls chopped and divided
- Melt butter and marshmallows over medium low heat and stir until smooth, melted and incorporated.
- Add in malted milk powder
- Add in cereal
- Add in 2 cups of malted milk balls
- Place in a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan
- Sprinkle remaining malted milk balls on top and press lightly into cereal.
Tips & Notes:
- Don’t overcook the marshmallow, remove from the heat as soon as they are melted. The longer they cook, the harder they will get. You want soft and chewy!
- After you place the mixture into your prepared pan, gently press down on it. Don’t make them too compact, you want light and chewy, not dense.
- Don’t over stir, stir just until cereal is coated. The cereal will begin to break down if over stirred.
Originally posted February 17 2015