Loaded Scalloped Potatoes are a delicious version of the classic potato dish traditionally served at Easter. The addition of bacon and green onions and a topping of bread crumbs and butter make a delicious dressed up version.
If you want a more traditional version try these Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes. You may also like these Cheesy Potatoes from my childhood or do something different and serve these Chili Roasted Potatoes.
How to Make Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
- Boil potatoes until just tender. Cool and slice into 1/4 inch slices. I like to use Yukon Gold Potatoes or Red Potatoes.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13″ baking dish.
- Cook bacon until crispy, drain and break into small pieces. Follow my directions for perfectly baked bacon here.
- Top with half the bacon and onions.
- Mix together sour cream and milk and pour half over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with half of grated cheddar cheese. You could use a mixture of cheeses such as Monterey Jack and Cheddar or also some Pepper Jack.
- Sprinkle with some salt and pepper if desired.
- Repeat the process with a layer of potatoes, bacon and green onions, milk mixture and cheese.
- Sprinkle top with crushed croutons and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.
- The potatoes are done with the cheese is melted, and mixture hot and bubbly and turning golden brown around the edges.
I have a family full of potato lovers and this is one of their favorite potato recipes. It has become our traditional potato dish to serve with Easter dinner.
Make Ahead Scalloped Potatoes
- This dish can easily be prepared the day or night ahead of time.
- Prepare the dish up until the point where you add the crouton topping and butter.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring to room temperature before baking or allow for some additional baking time if baking it chilled.
- Add the crouton topping and butter right before putting it in the oven.
- Serve hot.
What to Serve with Potatoes?
- Grilled Spiced Ham
- Instant Pot Brisket
- Crock Pot Pork Roast
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Honey Pork Roast
- Fig Glazed Pork Tenderloin
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Loaded Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
- 4-6 medium sized Yukon Gold or red potatoes depending on size.
- 6 slices bacon crisply fried and crumbled
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup seasoned croutons slightly crushed
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- Boil potatoes, until just tender, about 20 minutes
- Drain, cool, peel and cut into 1/4" thick slices
- Arrange in greased, shallow 9 x 13 dish, layer half of potato slices, top with half the bacon and onions
- Stir milk into sour cream and spread half the mixture over the potato layer and then sprinkle with half the cheese
- Season with salt and pepper
- Repeat layers
- Sprinkle croutons over top and drizzle butter over all
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes
Originally posted April 22, 2011
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.