For the few months before the Wedding Cake Buffet I did a lot of experimenting with cake recipes. Believe me no one around here was complaining.
I put a lot of time and effort into the cake menu and making sure the flavors were balanced and well represented.
I knew that I wanted to have a California Orange Cake, a recipe I shared several years ago. I think it is my all time favorite cake!! I also knew I had to have the Best Chocolate Cake and the bride’s father had requested Red Velvet Cake. I love citrus flavored cakes so I knew I needed a lemon cake and when I came across the recipe for a Key Lime Cake over at Bakerella I knew it had to be part of the line up too. How could Bakerella steer me wrong? She didn’t. I loved having three citrus flavors represented – lemon, lime and orange.
I loved this cake. I think I may have eaten more than my share of it. It is a sweet cake but isn’t that what cake is suppose to be? Sweet!
The recipe calls for key lime juice. If you have ever purchased key limes before you know they are small and it would take a lot of limes to get the amount of juice I needed so I just bought the bottled key lime juice – it works great and used the key limes for the photo shoot!
You are going to notice a bit of a difference in the photos in this post. The first time I made the cake I tinted the frosting with a little green food coloring (see photo above) so some of the photos have green frosting in it but for the actual cake buffet I didn’t want it green so just left it white. Bakerella’s cake also was beautifully coated in graham cracker crumbs. I tried that on the first cake and let’s just say my cake didn’t look like her cake and thus you are not seeing photos of it!! I left the crumbs off for the wedding.
For the wedding I piped the top with whip cream stars and sprinkles.
The cake is made by splitting your two layers of cake into four and layering with frosting. I love frosting so for me the more frosting the better!
Then you add a layer of the delicious key lime/cream cheese frosting on the top and bottom. A light, lovely and sweet cake. Perfect for a wedding cake buffet.
For other yummy cakes check out these:
Key Lime Cake
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 C oil
- 2/3 cup key lime juice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 C butter softened
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- 2 16 oz boxes confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 C key lime juice optional
- green food coloring optional for color
- 16 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 8-inch cake pans.
- Mix together flour, sugar, powder, soda and salt into mixer.
- Add eggs, oil and lime juice. Beat until smooth.
- Add sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Pour in prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool and then split each layer into two. Frost
- Mix together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in confectioner's sugar
- Add in vanilla.
- Add in 1/4 cup of key lime juice.
- Add a small amount of green food color if you’d like the frosting tinted.
- In a chilled bowl whip cream with sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.