Rich, creamy and pure comfort food! This Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings is the easiest and most delicious you will ever make.
We have lots of favorite Instant Pot dinner recipes at our house. A few of our favorites include this Instant Pot Mongolian Beef which is better than take out. Instant Pot Cafe Rio Pork is another favorite restaurant copycat recipe. Chicken Noodle Soup has never been easier when made in the Instant Pot.
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Thanks to the Instant Pot, you can have delicious, comforting Chicken and Dumplings in 30 minutes. It is one of the easiest dinners to make and one of the most satisfying.
Chicken and Dumplings has been a favorite at our house for years and I have always made it on the stove top or in the slow cooker. Learning to make it in the Instant Pot is life changing. Add all the ingredients right into the Instant Pot and set on high pressure for three minutes! That’s it!
It will take about 10 minutes or so to come up to pressure and then do a quick release and you’ve got an amazing dinner!!
Dumplings from Scratch
The dumplings are my favorite part and I pretty much eat chicken and dumplings so I can have dumplings! I have found that the secret to light and fluffy dumplings is adding in sour cream. It makes for the perfect dumplings. I use a combination of Bisquick baking mix, milk and sour cream. Your dumpling batter will be wet and sticky.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Set your Instant Pot to saute. Add in some olive oil along with your carrots, celery, onions and seasoning. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in your uncooked chicken cut into bite size pieces, stir and let cook for 2 few minutes. Meat will just begin to brown.
- Add in chicken broth and then drop dumplings onto the surface of the liquid. They may sink a bit but should float on top. Remember they will be wet and sticky. I use a spoon to scoop up the batter and then another spoon to push it off the spoon into the pot.
Put the lid on the pot and set it to manual high pressure for 3 minutes. Set the valve to sealing. Do a quick release as soon as the 3 minutes is up.
When you open the Instant Pot the dumplings are going to look wet and even a little raw, that’s o.k. As they sit for a minute the air will dry out the top. I like to garnish with some dried or fresh parsley.
The broth will still be somewhat thin but as you dish up the chicken and dumplings and start cutting into the dumpling, it will begin to thicken the broth and you will have a nice thick broth there is no need for any kind of thickening agent other than the dumpling itself.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings from scratch as never been easier. It is the perfect, easy weeknight dinner idea!
More Comfort Food Recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced, bite size
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick or baking/pancake mix
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp parsley dried or fresh for garnish
- Add oil to Instant Pot and turn to saute.
- Add in carrots, celery, onion and seasonings and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in diced chicken and cook for an additional 1-3 minutes, chicken will just begin to brown but not cook through.
- Add in chicken broth.
- Mix together milk, baking mix and sour cream. Batter will be wet and sticky.
- Spoon dumplings onto top of liquid in Instant Pot
- Put on the lid and set to manual, high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Sprinkle dumplings with fresh or dried parsley.
- Spoon dumpling and liquid into a bowl. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!