A pizookie is a cookie in pizza form, it’s a warm chocolate chip cookie that is gooey in the middle and crispy on the edges. Don’t forget the ice cream and chocolate!
What is a Pizookie?
It’s a cross between a chocolate chip cookie and a pizza! It’s, warm, it’s gooey and it’s delicious. I experienced my first pizookie at BJ’s restaurant which is attributed to inventing it. The restaurant makes in a small cast iron pan but we are using a two small ramekins today. That way I make sure my husband doesn’t eat more than his share!
Besides being delicious, one of the best things is how quick and easy this dessert is. With this pizookie recipe you can enjoy it warm, out of the oven in about 20 minutes!
What You Will Need
Butter. I use salted butter. As an option, you can brown the butter first for more amazing flavor. Check out my post on how to brown butter here.
Chocolate Chips. I prefer semi sweet but you can use any kind you like. Sometimes I use a combo of semi-sweet, milk chocolate and white chocolate.
Egg. We are only using 2 Tbsp of beaten egg, not the whole egg. The whole egg makes it taste too eggy. Use your leftover beaten egg to make this giant cookie!
How to Make a Pizookie at Home
- Melt butter in the microwave or on the stove top. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before adding sugar.
- Add in sugars and mix to combine. It’s easiest to mix this up by hand since we are working with a small batch.
- Add in vanilla and beaten egg.
- Stir in dry ingredients including flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add in chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Divide mixture in half and press into dish that is lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12- 15 minutes, depending on the pan you use and how gooey you like your pizookie.
How to Serve A Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
It must be served, warm, right out of the oven while it is nice and gooey. That is what a pizookie is all about! At our house, it must be served with scoops of vanilla ice cream. The hardest part of making one is getting your ice cream to cookie ratio just right!!
- Change out the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips, dark or milk chocolate, peanut butter chips, or toffee chips work too.
- You can also use pieces of your favorite candy bar, M&M’s, or Reese’s Pieces.
- Brown the butter for more flavor
- Add in about 1/4 cup of your favorite nut. We like pecans.
If you need a super fast version, use store bought cookie dough. Following baking directions below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best way is right out of the oven, eaten right out of the pan! Be sure and top it with a scoop of ice cream and maybe some caramel sauce or hot fudge sauce. The only other thing you need are two forks!!
I’ve made them in a small 6 inch cast iron skillet, a 3 inch ramekin and a 4.5 inch ramekin. They all work great, your baking time will vary depending on the container.
We never have any leftovers but if you do, cover and store at room temperature for 2-3 days.
I recommend freezing the dough before baking it. To freeze the baked cookie, remove it from the container and place in a freezer storage bag. Will freeze for up to 3 months.
You can reheat in the microwave if you have used a ramekin. If you used a cast iron pan, cover with foil and reheat in a 350 degrees F oven for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
For more delicious recipes try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 1/4 cup butter salted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp beaten egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips semi sweet
- Melt butter and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in sugars and stir to combine.
- Add in egg and vanilla, stir.
- Mix in dry ingredients including flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir just until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour in chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Divide dough in half and place into a lightly greased ramekin.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 – 15 minutes, depending on how gooey you want it.
- Remove from oven and enjoy warm with ice cream.