No one is going to believe this cake is gluten free! This Flourless Almond Honey Cake with Berries is divine.
When I need to earn a few brownie points with my husband I make a yummy gluten free treat. Let’s just say I may or may not have been a little onery this weekend so I thought a few brownie points were in order. I know you are probably shocked, Leigh Anne, onery? Well, it happens now and then.
Jim has been eating gluten free for over a year now and I am always on the search for new gluten free treats. I found this recipe in my Food Network Magazine and adapted it. We fell instantly in love. First, because it has almond flavoring in it and second it was gluten free and third, it was absolutely delicious.
I hit the jackpot with this one! Let me tell you – NO ONE is ever going to know this is gluten free if you don’t tell them. It is moist and flavorful and the texture is perfect. So many gluten free baked goods have a grittiness to them because they use rice flour but because this only uses almond meal flour and potato starch the texture is perfect. But the real secret to this cake is, egg whites! Light, fluffy egg whites make this the beautiful thing that it is. It is baked in a 9 ” springform pan.
After baking a yummy syrup made from honey and lemon juice is spread over the cake.
And then it is topped with lots of yummy berries and drizzled with more honey syrup.
Can we just say, heaven!!!
After we each had a piece I knew I needed to share this with my gluten free friends, besides, if I didn’t I was going to consume the entire thing myself!
You can get creative with what berries you put on top. It would also be great with fresh peaches! Besides being delicious it is also gorgeous!
Regardless of whether you eat gluten free or not – make this cake!! You are going to thank me, over and over again!!
Gluten Free Flourless Almond Honey Cake with Berries
- 1/4 C olive oil plus additional for greasing pan
- 1 3/4 C Almond Flour plus some for dusting pan
- 1/3 C potato starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C sugar divided
- 2/3 C honey divided
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 4 large eggs separated plus 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extra
- berries for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place oven rack in bottom 1/3 of oven.
- Brush bottom and sides of 9 inch springform with olive oil and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Brush parchment with more olive oil and dust with almond flour.
- Mix together almond flour, potato starch and salt in a bowl.
- In mixer combine 1/2 C sugar, 1/3 C honey, lemon zest, 4 egg yolks, vanilla and almond extract and olive oil.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in almond flour mixture until just incorporated.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 C sugar, until glossy peaks form. About 3 minutes.
- Gently fold the egg white into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched. About 50-55 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Remove from pan/ Run a knife around the edge first to loosen it from pan.
- Mix together 1/2 C sugar, 1/3 C honey, juice from two lemons and 1 C water. Bring to a simmer over high heat and simmer until reduced over medium heat. Should take about 20 minutes and become syrupy.
- Brush part of the syrup mixture over the top of the cake.
- Top with berries and drizzle with more honey mixture (may not use all of it)