This version of Sweet and Sour Chicken has definitely become a family favorite. I found it over at Stephanie’s Kitchen and we have made it twice in the last month. I am not a big fan of the heavily breaded Sweet and Sour you usually get at Chinese places but this version is light and yummy! The chicken is just dredged in flour and then cooked in olive oil until browned. It is just the right amount of sweetness too.
It is great for a weeknight dinner because it is quick and easy to prepare. This time I forgot to add the red pepper (it was sitting, waiting, in the refrigerator) which makes the dish much prettier so just imagine some pretty red pepper slices in amongst the chicken and pineapple. Serve with rice and a nice green salad and you’ve got a great family night dinner! Enjoy!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 6 tablespoons flour seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits reserve juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice use reserved juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 cup onion sliced
- Coat chicken in flour and fry in olive oil until browned
- Drain and set aside
- In same skillet, combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, chicken broth and soy sauce
- Cook and stir until boiling
- Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes
- Add chicken, peppers, onions, and pineapple
- Cook until heated through
- Serve over rice
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.