Sweet and Sour Chicken is kid friendly, even your pickiest eaters will love it and it is guaranteed to become part of your regular meal plan rotation.
For more delicious easy dinner ideas check out this Chicken Yakisoba, Oven Baked Tacos and Korean Ground Beef.
30 Minute Dinner Idea
This version of Sweet and Sour Chicken has definitely become a family favorite. I am not a big fan of the heavily breaded Sweet and Sour you usually get at Chinese places but this version is light and yummy! Some Sweet and Sour Chicken is overly sweet and this one is just the right amount of sweetness with only 1/4 cup of brown sugar. A lot of the sweetness comes from the pineapple juice.
If you prefer Sweet and Sour Pork, just substitute pork for the chicken. Making it at home is so easy though you may never need to order out again!
How to Make Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Cut your chicken into bite size pieces and then lightly coat with flour.
- Heat your olive oil in a large skillet and cook the chicken until cooked through. Don’t overcook your chicken which is easy to do when it is cut into small pieces. I often pull it out a minute before I think it is done. Remove the chicken to a plate or bowl while you cook the rest.
- Add your peppers or onions to the pan, there should be enough oil still in the pan. Cook until onions and peppers are tender.
- Mix together your sauce and add it into the pan along with the peppers and onions. Stir over a low boil for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add in your chicken and pineapple chunks into the sauce and stir to coat. Serve over rice.
It is great for a weeknight dinner because it is quick and easy to prepare and it is a pretty one with those slices of red pepper. I love to serve it with some white rice and a green salad and you’ve got a complete meal in under 30 minutes.
Other quick and easy 30 minute meal ideas:
Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 20 oz. pineapple chunks reserve juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice use reserved juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 cup onion sliced
- Coat chicken in flour with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and fry in olive oil until browned
- Drain and set aside
- In same skillet, combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, chicken broth and soy sauce
- Cook and stir until boiling
- Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes
- Add chicken, peppers, onions, and pineapple
- Cook until heated through
- Serve over rice
Originally shared January 5, 2012
Leave a Review