This Fresh Blueberry Pie can be made with fresh or frozen berries. The streusel topping adds extra texture and flavor.Do you prefer a fruit crisp or a fruit pie? On one hand I love a fruit crisp because I love the streusel like topping that goes on top of it. I love the sweet crunchiness of it. On the other hand I love a good pie too and a nice buttery, flaky crust.
Well, with today’s recipe I no longer have to choose one over the other. I can have both in one amazing fresh blueberry pie
How to Make Blueberry Pie
- I started with my Perfect Pie Crust to make a flaky, buttery crust.
- Par bake the crust to keep it from getting soggy from the liquid the berries make when they are cooked. Bake your crust at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes before filling it with fruit.
- Add flour and corn starch in with the fruit to cut down on the liquid. No one likes a soupy pie!
- Streusel Topping – This is my favorite part. You could always add a pastry crust to the top if you like but one crust on the bottom is enough for me and I love the texture of the streusel topping.
- Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown and the streusel topping is nice and brown too. I let the pie cool for a while so it sets up a bit.
As far as I’m concerned any and all berry pies must be served topped with a nice big scoop of vanilla ice cream, it’s required!
Thanks to some lemon juice and lemon zest, this blueberry pie has a nice fresh lemon hint to it. If you aren’t a lemon fan you can leave it out or just cut down on the amount. I think blueberries and lemons are a perfect combination.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Fresh Blueberry Pie Recipe
Fresh Blueberry Pie
- 1 unbaked pie crust 9 inch
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 C fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2/3 C brown sugar packed
- 3/4 C rolled oats
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp butter
- Make pie crust according to my Perfect Pie Crust Tutorial. This recipe only requires one crust and the recipe makes two, so cut it in half if you are only make one pie.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place pie crust in bottom of 9 inch pie plate.
- Par bake the pie crust for 5 minutes in the oven to help prevent it from getting soggy.
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 C brown sugar, flour, cornstarch, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add in blueberries and stir to coat.
- Place blueberries in par baked crust.
- In another bowl, combine 2/3 C brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and butter.
- Cut butter in until mixture is crumbly.
- Spread crumb mixture onto of pie filling.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in preheated oven until top is browned.
- Cool on a rack.