This is a great gluten free and dairy free cream of chicken soup. It tastes delicious and you’ll find all kinds of ways to use it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
When my daughter Cali was diagnosed with a wheat and dairy intolerance years ago it took some adjusting. One of the biggest challenges was taking some of our family favorite recipes and adapting them so that Cali could eat them.
After a little experimenting I was able to come up with a gluten free and dairy free cream of chicken soup that tasted great and worked perfect. You can use it in any recipe that calls for cream of chicken, cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup.
It is so much better than any store-bought condensed soup!!
- Milk. In place of milk or cream we will be using coconut milk. You can use regular or lite coconut milk. If you prefer, you can also use almond milk, oat milk, soy milk or cashew cream but the flavor will be different.
- Butter. My daughter can have butter but if you can’t, use a product such as Earth Balance or some type of vegan butter.
- Flour. I used this gluten-free flour mix but you can use your favorite gluten free flour. I also like Bob Red Mill’s Cup for Cup Gluten Free Flour.
- Chicken. Use cooked, shredded chicken breast. You can also use thigh meat.
- Chicken Broth. You can also use vegetable broth for a vegan version.
- Seasoning. Salt, pepper and onion powder.
How to Make Gluten Free Dairy Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, add in onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in flour to mixture and cook for a minute or two
- Add in chicken broth and bring to simmer.
- Add in coconut milk and simmer until it thickens. About 12-15 minutes.
- Add in shredded chicken and heat through.
How To Make Shredded Chicken
- Microwave. This method is quick and easy and takes about 10 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Depending on the size of your microwave you can do 2-3 chicken breasts at a time. Find all the details here.
- Slow Cooker. If you have time, the slow cooker makes a moist and tender shredded chicken. It takes about four hours on low. If I have to make a large batch of shredded chicken this is the perfect way. Find all the details here.
- Instant Pot. This is another great method and I usually do about 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts at a time. It will take about a total of 45 minutes. Find all the details here.
Tips from leigh Anne
- I leave my chicken in fairly large pieces because I usually use it for Hawaiian Haystack but you can definitely use less chicken or shred your chicken up in smaller places.
- You can use this dairy free, gluten free cream of chicken soup in any recipe that calls for regular cream of chicken soup
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make cream of mushroom soup with this recipe?
You can! Sauteed some sliced mushrooms in a pan (using butter or butter substitute until soft. Add them into the soup in place of the shredded chicken.
Can I make this vegan cream of chicken soup?
To make it vegan you can use vegan butter and leave out the chicken or use vegan chicken such as a plant based chicken.
For other gluten free recipes try:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1-2 cups of cooked chicken shredded
- 4 Tbsp butter or Earth Balance if you can’t have butter
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 6 Tbsp gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Melt butter, add in onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in flour and cook for a minute or two
- Add in chicken broth and bring to simmer
- Add in coconut milk and simmer until it thickens. About 12-15 minutes Add in shredded chicken and heat through.