Cheesy Potatoes are also known as Funeral Potatoes at our house. And no matter what you call them, they are a delicious and an easy to make ahead side dish for any celebration or dinner.
What are funeral potatoes?
We have called cheesy potatoes funeral potatoes for as long as I can remember. They are called this because in our church, they are often served along with ham at family dinners following funerals. But whether you call them cheesy potatoes or funeral potatoes this is one recipe that has been a classic in my recipe repertoire for decades. In fact, I figured everyone had a recipe for cheesy potatoes so I never bothered sharing mine.
But with Easter coming, I decided it was a perfect time to share it as it is a favorite side dish for ham!
How to Make Cheesy Potatoes
- Cheesy Potatoes are so easy to make because they use frozen hash brown potatoes and it can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator until ready to be baked. Another reason why this is the perfect side dish for the holiday!
- I like to use the frozen cubed hash browns but I know there are some that like to use the shredded frozen hash browns.
- Thaw your potatoes first.
- The potatoes are combined with sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic, minced onion and cheese. You can get creative with the kind of cheese you use. I usually use Cheddar but you could add in some Pepper Jack for a little kick if you like or whatever you have on hand.
- Add some chopped chives into the potatoes and then garnish with additional chives for some color.
- I like to top the potatoes with crushed cornflakes mixed with some butter to give the potatoes a little texture and crunch. You can leave the topping off or make it with cracker crumbs too if you prefer.
- If you want to make this ahead of time and refrigerate, just cover with plastic wrap. I recommend adding the corn flake topping right before baking though so it doesn’t get soggy.
You can make a main dish out of these potatoes too by adding in some diced ham. It makes the perfect thing to fix after Easter too with your leftover ham.
Some other side dishes you may enjoy:
Cheesy Potato Casserole
Cheesy Potato Recipe
- 30 oz. frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 3 cups cornflakes crushed
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup chives chopped, additional for garnish
- Place thawed potatoes in a bowl.
- Add in sour cream, soup and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix to combined
- Add in salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chives and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Place in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix crushed cornflakes with 1/2 cup melted butter. Stir to combine. Sprinkle over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40-50 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.