Blackberry pie bars is a great way to get all the delicious flavor of blackberry pie without the fuss of baking a pie!
One of my favorite things to do on a Saturday morning during the summer is to go the local Farmer’s Market. And when I do I always come home with an abundance of Marionberries. Marionberries are a berry that was first grown here in Marion County, Oregon. They are a cross between a Chehalem blackberry and a Olallieberry blackberry. And they are delicious!
Months ago I printed off a recipe for Blackberry Pie Bars. I thought Marionberries would be a perfect thing to use, so I have been patiently waiting for Marionberry season to arrive. And it finally has.
Blackberry pie bars are fantastic!!! They were a huge hit with the whole family including my parents. After eating one Cali said, “You have to put these on the blog.” That has become the standard at our house, whether something is blog worthy or not and these are!!
How to make Blackberry Pie Bars
You start with a layer of butter, sugar and flour. After baking the crust for a few minutes, you top it with a mixture of sugar, eggs, sour cream and blackberries. If you would like, you can substitute half of the sour cream for Greek yogurt. I have done that before and it works beautifully. Then you sprinkle the top with the other half of the butter, sugar and flour mixture and then bake.
This recipe is fabulous with fresh Marionberries, but fresh or frozen blackberries are delicious too. Really, these pie bars would be good with any berry or a combo of berries you want to try!
Just look at all of the delicious layers in these blackberry pie bars! Give them a try why there ware some delicious summer berries available.
Blackberry Pie Bar Recipe
Blackberry Pie Bars
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups chilled unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 16 oz. packages frozen blackberries, defrosted and drained or fresh!
For the crust and topping:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor fitted with the metal blade
- Process until fully combined
- Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes
- Add the butter to the flour mixture and process until the butter is evenly distributed, but the mixture is still crumbly
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture for the topping
- Press the remaining crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan
- Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes or until it is golden brown
- Cool for at least 10 minutes
To make the filling:
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl, then add the sour cream, flour and salt. Gently fold in the blackberries
- Spoon the mixture evenly over the crust
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned
- Cool for at least 1 hour before cutting
Recipe from Taste and Tell Food Blog
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.