An apple galette is just as delicious as an apple pie but it’s half the work and time. A flaky crust filled with tender apples is an impressive fall dessert.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
It’s easy! A galette is basically a lazy man’s pie, you get all the flavor and texture of an apple pie without the work of making an actual pie. It’s pretty much fool proof! If you have no pie making experience this is the place to start.
It’s delicious! This apple galette has a buttery flaky crust with a pile of tender, cinnamon sugar coated apples right in the middle.
What is a galette?
A galette is French in origin and is a free form rustic pie, there is no crimping, trimming, pie dish or top crust required. All you do is fold the crust up over the filling! A galette can be sweet or savory and filled with all kinds of different things. If you are looking for a savory galette be sure and check out my tomato galette.
- Flour. I use unbleached all purpose Flour
- Butter. Salted and cold
- Granulated Sugar
- Apples. I prefer a more tart apple such as Granny Smith Apples, Gala Apples or Honey Crisp Apples.
- Brown Sugar
- Spices. A combination of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cornstarch. Is used as a thickener.
- Apricot Jam. This is optional and can be used to brush over top of apples to make them look prettier. It’s purely for looks, doesn’t affect the flavor. I did not use it in the photos.
- Coarse Sugar. This is also optional and can be used to sprinkle on the crust after brushing it with an egg wash. I did do this in galette in the photos.
- Egg. For egg wash optional (not pictured)
How to Make Apple Galette
Apple Galette Dough:
- In a food processor combine 1 1/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp sugar, pinch of salt and 1/2 cup chilled butter cut into cubes.
- Pulse until mixture forms a small pebble like texture.
- Add in cold water a teaspoon at a time until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- Roll out dough onto a piece of parchment paper (makes it easier to transfer to baking sheet.
- Move parchment paper and dough to a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium size bowl, combine peeled and sliced apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and cornstarch.
- Gently toss apples to coat with mixture.
- Place apples in the middle of the dough leaving a 2-3 inch board of dough.
- Fold edges of dough up over the apples, pleating and overlapping dough about every 2 inches. Do not press dough into fruit.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove galette from fridge.
- Egg Wash (optional): In a small dish, beat one egg and add 1/2 tsp of water. Brush egg wash over the edges of the unbaked crust. Sprinkle with some coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake galette for 35-40 minutes or until hot, bubbly and crust is golden brown.
Tip #3 To make your apple galette look extra pretty, add 1 teaspoon of water to 1 Tablespoon of apricot jam in a small bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds to warm it. Brush over the apples after the galette comes out of the oven. It will make it shiny and pretty.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Frequently Asked Questions
The pie crust can be done by hand in a bowl with a pastry blender or fork
I recommend Honeycrisp, Pink lady, Granny Smith, Empire, Braeburn, Jonagold, Gala, Cortland, and Golden Delicious.
Yes! Add in some pecans or walnuts with the apple mixture. I’d use about 1/2 – 1 cup of nuts.
If you enjoyed this apple galette recipe try some of these other delicious recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 4 Apples peeled and cut into 1/4" thick slices
- 2 tso lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 up brown sugar
- apricot jam optional for glazing
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- ice cold water
- In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, sugar, butter cut into small pieces. Use the blade attachment
- Pulse until it resembles coarse pea sized crumbs.
- A tablespoon at a time add in cold water and pulse until dough forms a ball. Do not over mix.
- Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 357 degrees F
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and brown sugar.
- Gently toss to coat apples.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Place dough onto a piece of parchment paper that is lightly floured. Roll dough out until it measures approximately a 12 inch circle.
- Place apples into middle of pie crust, leaving a 2 inch border.
- Fold dough up to and slightly over the apples, pleating the dough every 2 inches.
- Optional: Mix together egg and 1/2 tsp water to make an egg wash. Brush over the edges of crust. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Refrigerate galette for 20-30 minutes to help prevent it from losing it's shape while baking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender, hot and bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Enjoy warm, room temperature or cold.