What do you do with a ripe banana or two? Make banana bread of course! I have the BEST banana bread recipe. I can call it that because my maiden name is Best – so I guess every recipe I have could be called the BEST recipe
But seriously, this banana bread recipe is the BEST! I have made this banana bread for years. The recipe came from one of those little softcover recipe books you can buy in the grocery store line.
Everyone I have ever made this bread for LOVES it and asks for the recipe. In fact, my friend Allison emailed me the other day asking for it and I promised her it would be on the blog this week.
Last summer when my friend’s teenage daughter had ACL repair surgery the one thing she asked for after her surgery was my banana bread. Of course there was a warm loaf of banana bread for her when she got home from the hospital.
So, if you have some ripe bananas on your counter you now know what to do with them and if you don’t have any – go buy some today!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour bottom only of a loaf pan (or use 3 small loaf pans)
- In large bowl, beat together sugar and oil
- Add eggs, bananas, sour cream and vanilla; blend well
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off
- Add flour, baking soda and salt; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened
- Pour into prepared pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes (about 40 minutes for smaller loaf pan) or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan
- Cool completely
- Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator
- Makes 1 loaf