These chocolate chip banana muffins are the perfect solution to ripe bananas. A moist, tender muffin filled with little bits of chocolate. They make a perfect breakfast treat or after school snack.
Today’s muffin recipe is due to having two overly ripe bananas on my counter. I just wasn’t in the mood for banana bread, although I have an amazing banana bread recipe, but a banana muffin sounded pretty good.
When my kids were at home I often made muffins on Monday mornings to start the week. Muffins are easy to pull together, I usually had the ingredients and you can have a fresh, warm batch out of the oven in about 30 minutes. I also felt better about sending them off to school with a homemade muffin rather than a bowl of cold cereal!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Add in some mini chocolate chips for a fun flavor. If you don’t have mini chocolate chips, use regular size.
- This recipe uses a combination of vegetable oil and sour cream for the liquid which creates an amazingly tender and moist muffin.
- If you don’t have sour cream you can substitute plain Greek yogurt.
I only had 2 bananas but I think next time I might add in a third for a little more intense banana flavor but 2 worked just great.
I liked using mini chocolate chips rather than the full size one. You get just a hint of chocolate that way in each bite.
How Long Do Muffins Last?
Not very long at our house but they can last for 2-3 days unrefrigerated and up to a week in the refrigerator. Keep them in an airtight container.
Can I Freeze Muffins?
Muffins freeze really well.
- Let them cool completely.
- Place them on a baking sheet or back in the muffin tin and flash freeze them for about an hour, or until they are solid.
- Put individual muffins into a large freezer bag, as many as will fit. Freezing them individually first will prevent them from sticking together in the freezer bag.
- They will keep for up to two months in the freezer.
- To thaw muffins just allow them to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes or pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
For more banana recipes try these:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffin Recipe
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix together the oil, sugar, bananas, eggs, baking powder and salt
- Add in vanilla
- Add in flour and mix until just combined and moistened
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Grease pan or line with paper liners. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full
- Preheat oven to 350 for approximately 20 minutes
If you’ve tried these Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Originally posted March 28, 2011
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.