When I saw this recipe on Melanie’s blog over at My Kitchen Cafe the end of December and I knew I would definitely be trying it!
Because of the dried craisinets I decided it would make a perfect Valentine sweet treat. The fact that it had white chocolate in it didn’t hurt either!
I love the extra sweetness the craisinets and the white chocolate add to the treats. They were a big hit at our house and I also took a plate of them over to my neighbors when I returned the 9 x 13 pan I had borrowed over the holidays – sorry it took me so long to get it back Sheri but hopefully the treats made it worth it!!
A plate full of these crispy sweet treats tied up with a pretty red ribbon will be a perfect Valentine gift for someone special!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows
- ½ C white chocolate chips
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 5 C Rice Krispies cereal (or off-brand works fantastic, too)
- 1 C dried cherries or cranberries (I used craisinets)
- ½ C semisweet chocolate chips, melted (I used milk chocolate)
- Prepare pan by lining an 11X7-inch baking dish with foil, allowing excess foil to hang over pan edges.
- If you want the treats thinner, use a 9X13 - for thicker treats still, use an 8X8-inch pan.
- I found the 11X7 pan size to be perfect - not too thick and not too thin.
- Grease the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Add marshmallows, white chocolate chips, and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Off heat, stir in rice krispies and cherries or cranberries until incorporated.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and press into bottom and corners with a greased spatula (I just used my fingers since the marshmallows weren't overly hot at this point).
- Let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Melt semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave on low at 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate into a ziploc baggie, pressing chocolate into one corner of the bag.
- Using scissors, clip a tiny piece off the corner and drizzle chocolate over cooled treats.
- Allow chocolate to cool, about 45 minutes. Using foil overhang, lift treats from pan.
- Cut into squares.