We are taking Rice Krispie treats to a whole new level with these Caramel Rice Krispie Treats. There is a layer of caramel between the cereal layer and then it’s topped with chocolate.
Caramel Stuffed Rice Krispie Treat
I love a good rice krispie treat. For me a good crispy cereal treat is not too crispy though! I like mine a little softer and a little more gooey than the standard recipe. When you sandwich a layer of caramel in the middle of that treat, well let’s just say, heaven!
How to Make A Rice Krispie Treat
The secret to a great rice krispie treat is the butter to marshmallow ratio. I like a lot of both!
- In a microwave safe bowl or in a saucepan on the stove top, melt a whole bag of marshmallows and 1/2 cup of butter.
- Mix the marshmallow and butter together until it is smooth.
- Pour over 7 cups of rice cereal.
- Mix to combine and totally coat cereal.
- Put mixture into a buttered cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
- Let it set up and even stick it in the refrigerator if you are in a hurry.
- Cut through the middle with a knife or spatula.
- I used the Kraft caramel bits which you don’t have to unwrap and they melt easily in the microwave. Spread the caramel on half of the pan.
- Fold the other half of the bars over on top of the other half, sandwiching the caramel in between.
- Cut them into squares.
- Melt chocolate in microwave or on the stove top.
- Drizzle over the cut bars with melted chocolate for the finishing touch!
You may never eat a regular old rice krispie treat again!
Because I knew if left alone I would eat the entire pan myself, I posted a photo on Instagram and invited the neighbor kids to come over and have some. The message I got back was that on a scale of 1-10, they rated an 11. Not bad!
Your new favorite way to eat a rice krispie bar! I promise.
- For other rice krispie treats try these:
Cinnamon Rice Krispie Treats
- Crispy Chocolate Cherry Treats
- Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Caramel Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Caramel Rice Krispie Bars
- 10 oz. large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter
- 7 cups rice krispie cereal
- 11 oz. Kraft Caramel Bits
- 1/2 cup Chocolate chips melted for drizzling
- Add marshmallows and butter into a microwavable bowl.
- Melt in microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Mix marshmallows and butter until butter melts and mixture is smooth. (If the butter doesn’t melt, microwave for an extra 15 seconds or so.)
- Add cereal into marshmallow mixture.
- Once the marshmallow-butter mixture is evenly mixed in, pour into a greased 18 x 13″ pan and allow to set
- Cut in half.
- Melt caramel bits and pour over half of the rice kris pies.
- Cover caramel with other half of rice krispies.
- Refrigerate to set up and then cut into pieces
- Drizzle with melted chocolate.
Originally posted September 6, 2013