I love sugar cookies.
In fact, if you remember, I went on a hunt for the perfect sugar cookie a while ago. I think I found it but I am always open to a new sugar cookie recipe.
As much as I love sugar cookies I do not love rolling out sugar cookie dough and cutting out shaped cookies. I will do it at Christmas but that’s about it!
So when I saw Pioneer Woman’s Angel Sugar Cookie recipe, sugar cookies that are just dropped onto the cookie sheet, I was excited!
Since Valentine’s Day and sugar cookies go hand in hand I decided that this week was the perfect time to give PW’s recipe a try.
I am also a fan of thinner, crisper sugar cookies. I am usually not a fan of the thicker, heavier sugar cookies you find in the stores.
I was a little worried about PW’s version as they looked rather thick in the photo. But as PW promised the cookies were light, crisp and melt in your mouth!
Now as yummy as they were “naked”….
…there is just something about a sugar cookie that says “frosting”. A sugar cookie without frosting is just a little too naked!
So using the frosting recipe from my favorite sugar cookie I decided to dress up the cookies just a bit. I love the dash of almond flavoring in this recipe but you could also use vanilla or even lemon.
Because these cookies are so light and crisp you need to be careful when frosting them. Lay them flat on the counter and press gently(do not hold them in your hand) when you frost so they don’t crumble under the pressure! Because they crumble easily they will not travel well so you will just have to eat them all at home!!
As I was low on time I didn’t do anything fancy – just a layer of frosting and a few sprinkles!
It made a yummy sugar cookie even yummier!
This dough does require an hour of refrigeration so plan ahead!
So commenting has been a bit light here on the old blog lately and I can tell from my stat count report that there are lots of you out there so how about showing me a little love today and leaving a comment? I love comments!
Let me know what your favorite way to eat a sugar cookie is or just say hi!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 C canola oil
- 1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 C sugar, plus extra for the tops of the cookies
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or could use almond)
- 4 C plus 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350
- To make the dough, use a large mixing bowl and cream together the eggs, oil, butter, sugars and vanilla
- Add the rest of ingredients and mix well
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon drop the balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet
- Smear a dab of butter on the bottom of a glass, then dip it in the granulated sugar
- Use the glass to flatten the balls of dough, dipping again into the sugar each time
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the cookies are just barely turning brown around the edges
- Do not overcook and let cook before eating and/or frosting
Please check out what is featured on my other blogs today!
Your Homebased Parties: