Today’s recipes is another one of those oldies but goodies. I have had it in my recipe file for over 30 years and it originally belonged to my mother. It is on a nice little type written 3 x 5 index card in my collection of recipes. I remember spending hours on my typewriter typing out all my recipes! Now all I have to do is log onto my blog.
I served today’s recipe at a farewell dinner party for a sister missionary in our ward this past week. Her family was here to pick her up so we invited them to dinner and then invited a lot of the people she had served and taught during her mission over for a little dessert party and to say goodbye. Let’s just say the banana split dessert was a huge hit. I actually had to hide a few pieces of it so that the guest of honor could have a piece when she was done visiting.
One of the best things about this dessert, other than it is delicious, is that it is no bake! No oven or stovetop required. Perfect for summer. Especially on a 95 degree day like it is in Portland today and your air conditioner is broken. Yes, that would be me!
The dessert starts with a base of graham cracker crumbs in a 9 x 13 glass pan. It is then topped with a mixture of sugar and butter that has been beat for 15 minutes until it gets so light and fluffy! And so yummy! I have a hard time not just eating all the filling straight out of the bowl. But I did manage to save some for the dessert. Top the graham crackers with the filling and then top with sliced bananas, strawberries and drained crushed pineapple.
For other yummy desserts, try these:
- ½ C butter, melted
- 1 C graham cracker crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 C butter
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 3-4 bananas, sliced
- 1½ pints strawberries, sliced
- 1 container of Cool Whip (12 oz.)
- 1 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple, drained
- chocolate syrup to drizzle
- Note: If raw eggs are a concern for you they can be left out of the second layer.
- Mix together ½ C butter melted and 1 C graham cracker crumbs
- Press into bottom of 9 x 12 pan.
- Mix together eggs, 1 C butter and powdered sugar and beat for 15 minutes (this is important!)
- Spread over graham cracker layer
- Slice bananas and cover over second layer
- Cover over bananas with 1 pint sliced strawberries
- Cover with pineapple
- Cover with Cool Whip
- Sprinkle with remaining strawberries and drizzle with chocolate syrup
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!