Lemon Icebox Cookies are a delicious lightly lemon flavored butter cookie. Keep a roll of this dough in the refrigerator so you always a lovely cookie on hand.
Wondering what an icebox is and what it has to do with cookies? For my “younger” readers, an ice box is what we now know as a refrigerator. Back in the really olden days (long before my time), the ice box existed. It is the predecessor to the refrigerator. It was basically a cabinet with a big piece of ice in it and that is where things were kept cold. The ice was delivered daily by the “iceman.” Fortunately for us, we now have refrigerators.
Icebox cookies are basically a refrigerator dough cookie. One of my secret vices is that cookie dough that comes in the tube at the grocery store. The kind you just have to slice and bake. Yeah, I like it. No peeking in the back of my refrigerator where I keep it hidden.
With today’s recipe for icebox lemon cookies you can make your own slice and bake cookie dough at home and it tastes much better. I am loving this lemon version. Just a nice light, buttery lemon flavor.
The dough is mixed up in the food processor.
And then formed into two logs and rolled up in wax paper and put in the refrigerator to firm up.
The great thing about this is you can just pull out the dough, slice off a cookie or two and stick it back in the refrigerator for the next time you get a cookie craving.
Before slicing I rolled my dough into some coarse granulated sugar. It makes the cookie a little prettier and sweeter. If you don’t have coarse sugar you can just use regular sugar or leave it off all together. They will still be yummy.
I especially enjoy these icebox cookies with a nice cup of herbal tea. They are perfect for dunking.
Printable Recipe for Lemon Icebox Cookies
Lemon Icebox Cookies
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 C butter cut into pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 C coarse granulated sugar for rolling
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, confectioners sugar, salt and lemon zest until combined.
- Add butter and process until crumbly.
- Add in egg yolks and lemon juice and pulse util dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and form into two logs.
- Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate or freeze until firm. (a couple of hours up to a month)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll log of dough into sugar, coating the outside.
- Slice logs into 1/4 inch thick slices and arrange on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake until gold brown around the edges, 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to rack to cool.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart