Can I just say today’s recipe is pretty amazing.
Several months ago we had dinner at a local Portland restaurant. I don’t usually order dessert when we go out but this time I couldn’t resist. One of the items on the menu was for grilled pound cake. I was just too intrigued by the idea of grilling pound cake?
Well, I am glad I tried it because it was pretty amazing. Heating the cake on the grill gave it a nice little crisp coating that was so yummy.
So of course I had to try it myself at home. When Darigold asked me if I would share one of their recipes with you I was excited because I have used other recipes of theirs and they are consistently delicious! On their website I found a recipe for Browned Butter Pound Cake. I am a huge browned butter fan and then I remembered the grilled pound cake and I knew that was the recipe I wanted to share with you.
I was not disappointed and you will not be disappointed.
The pound cake by itself is delicious. The browned butter gives a wonderful flavor and depth to the cake. The cake itself is moist and delicious, not too dense like some pound cakes can be. Of course I used Darigold butter in the cake which is one of the best butters out there and my butter of choice!
Browning butter is easy to do. Just heat up the butter until it starts to get foamy and turn golden brown. Be sure and watch it close because it can go from golden brown to burned in a matter of seconds!
After removing the cake from the ban and allowing it cool you are ready to grill it. To grill the cake I sliced pieces and then put a thin layer of butter on each side.
Then just pop it on the grill for a few minutes on each side until the butter melts into the cake and you get those nice golden brown grill marks. Then give the cake a nice thin layer of lemon curd. The curd will absorb right into the cake thanks to the heat. Yum!!
Next top it off with whipped cream. I love using Darigold’s Classic 36% Heavy Whipping Cream. It is delicious and holds up really well.
Then a sprinkling of fresh berries. I used raspberries and blueberries but any combination would be great. I then gave it a drizzle of lemon curd.
The combination of flavors and texture is pretty much perfection!
But don’t take my word for it – try it yourself!
- 1 C (2 sticks) butter
- 2 C sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2-1/2 C all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 C whipping cream
- 2 tsps vanilla extract*
- 1 C whipping cream, whipped for topping
- assorted berries
- lemon curd
- butter, to spread on cake prior to grilling
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it foams and turns brown (5 to 10 minutes). Set aside and cool until butter begins to solidify.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- With mixer set at low speed, alternately add flour mixture and cream to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into a tube or Bundt pan coated with non-stick vegetable spray and dusted with flour.
- Place in a cold oven and set the temperature to 325°F; bake for 75 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes; remove cake from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut slices of cake and spread both sides with butter.
- Grill until golden grill marks appear
- Cover with a thin layer of lemon curd
- Top with whipped cream, berries and a drizzle of lemon curd
For other recipes using browned butter try these:
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!