This BBQ chicken salad is one of my favorite restaurant copycat recipes – just like the one they serve at California Pizza Kitchen.
Earlier this week I posted a recipe for Cheesy Bread. The picture included a salad I had made for dinner the night I served the bread – it was BBQ Chicken Salad. I have had numerous requests for the recipe after posting the photo here and on Facebook.
It is really more of a list of ingredients than a recipe but here it is!
It is the perfect summer salad. Easy to put together and delicious. It is so good in fact I made it again this week for my Beach Babe Garden dinner. We gathered in my friend Julie’s beautiful garden for a light summer supper before heading to see Eat, Pray, Love together. (Good movie but not as good as the book! Take a girlfriend)
Not only is it delicious it is also pretty in Julie’s pretty bowl. ( I forgot to take a bowl!)
I had enough ingredients leftover from the our garden supper that I decided to have it for lunch the next day and take a few more photos.
So I got it all arranged on the plate and took a few photos…
But I was having one of those days where you just feel slightly off all day. Ever had one of those? After I took the photos I realized I had forgotten to put the cheese and the cilantro on the salad. (I didn’t have any avocado leftover or I would have forgotten to put that on too)
So I went back to the kitchen counter to add them and the plate slipped from my hands to the floor. Yeah – it was one of those days. The plate broke into several pieces and I had BBQ Chicken Salad all over my cupboard and floor. I just laughed and walked away!
So here is another photo – missing cheese, cilantro and avocado!
I put this salad together one time after having a similar salad at California Pizza Chicken.
I am sorry but there are no quantities for the recipe. Remember I said it is really not a recipe but just a list of ingredients. The amounts will vary on the number of people you want to feed.
- Cooked, shredded chicken covered in your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Romaine lettuce and spinach
- Can of corn, drained
- Can of black beans, drained
- Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped tomato
- Chopped avocado
- Tortilla strips (bought in the produce section of the store)
- Cilantro Dressing
- Cooked, shredded chicken covered in your favorite BBQ Sauce. I used Sweet Baby Ray's and I cooked 2 chicken breasts for the 5 women I fed and then just squirted BBQ sauce all over it until it looked like enough. Let the chicken covered in BBQ sauce sit in the refrigerator for a while for the flavors to meld a bit.
- For a quick trick on cooking chicken breastscheck out my post.
- Combine romaine lettuce and spinach, Can of corn, drained,Can of black beans, drained, Grated Monterey Jack cheese, Chopped tomato, Chopped avocado, Tortilla strips (bought in the produce section of the store), Cilantro Dressing (I used one I bought at Trader Joes but I also have a recipe for cilantro dressing here. Some people prefer Ranch dressing on their BBQ Chicken Salad but I am not a Ranch fan)
- Chopped cilantro on the top!
- Serve with warm cheesy bread!
Enjoy – what is your favorite summer salad?
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!